Nuptial Flight Sightings in Virginia

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

explorer2103

Nuptial Flight Sightings in Virginia

Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:53 pm

Hey, I live in Virginia and I am trying to finally get into ant keeping, I tried to find Camponotus queens last year in June but found 0 queens. I was just wondering if anyone has seen nuptial flights starting in Virginia, and I'm sure timing might be off this year due to an abnormally warm winter. I've seen all kinds of estimations on when Carpenter ants fly on the east cost but they never seem to line up for me here in Virginia, just want to know if any one has seen them flying yet.

JackPayne

Re: Nuptial Flight Sightings in Virginia

Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:52 am

I don't live in Virginia but a good time to look for nuptial is after a rainstorm or heavy rain, also look in the GAN project for any local GAN farmers near you and maybe email them?
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?

Baltimore410Keeper

Re: Nuptial Flight Sightings in Virginia

Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Hey I live in Maryland, I haven't seen anything yet and trust me I'm actively looking :-)

With ants just coming out of hibernation it could take a few more weeks even with that rare weather we had. I'm going to really start hunting in a few weeks to give the potential males and queens time to wake from their 3 month slumber.

Take a few test tubes or containers and visit your local park. Never know what you can find and if you don't find anything that's the fun of the hunt. :-)

Best of luck!!!!!