Northeast US Nuptial flights

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Blackwing24

Northeast US Nuptial flights

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:06 pm

Hey all, I'm gearing up to begin capture of queens relatively soon, and was curious as to what I could expect and when. I know Prenolepis Imparis should be in the middle of their mating season, and I believe Camponotus season starts soon in this area. I was wondering if there is a more specific time frame I should be watching out for, as well as what other ants of interest will be doing their nuptial flights soon-ish. Thanks in advance for any help! :D

idahoantgirl

Re: Northeast US Nuptial flights

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:57 pm

Blackwing24 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:06 pm
Hey all, I'm gearing up to begin capture of queens relatively soon, and was curious as to what I could expect and when. I know Prenolepis Imparis should be in the middle of their mating season, and I believe Camponotus season starts soon in this area. I was wondering if there is a more specific time frame I should be watching out for, as well as what other ants of interest will be doing their nuptial flights soon-ish. Thanks in advance for any help! :D
Here is AntsCanada's video on the schedules for nuptial flights.
http://imgur.com/a/1FSnr
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

martinnate

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:58 pm

I'm in Abilene Tx and I gont a Camponotus queen last Friday around 10pm. Wasn't really looking but still got her. These were taken last night.

techno2560

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:41 pm

Im over in connecticut, i myself haven't seen any queens flying, which is a shame because i would love to add my my collection and hopefully help out with the GAN project as no one is covering this state. On the bright side, as the weather slowly gets warmer, the most active the nests outside become, so hopefully we can catch some soon. :D :D :lol: :lol: