Colorado Nupital Flights

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

ACaseoftheMondays

Re: Colorado Nupital Flights

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:25 pm

Hey, where has everyone been? Hopefully, you are all taking caring for queens you have successfully found this summer! I'd love to hear about what you guys have found so far, although I'm not sure if this would be the proper thread. Perhaps we should start a CO thread in the Community Hub board, seeing as there seems to be a good amount of anters in CO.

With all the rain lately, there have been lots of flights lately, and I've found plenty of random queens scurrying about when the sun shines in between the showers. Now is a great time to go looking. Here are some pics of recent finds:

Founding:
Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis
Solenopsis Molesta
Formica Argentea
Lasius Flavus
Colonies:
Tetramorium sp.E

Cal113

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Nice finds 🤣
Keeper of:

x3 Tetramorium caespitum queens (small colonies);
x1 Pogonomyrmex barbatus (med colony)
x1 Formica fusca single queen; (small colony)
x2 Unknown sp.; (founding)
x1 Temnothorax rugatalus (med colony)

Dearth335

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:04 pm

Cool Lasius queens, Is the first pic a Formica? That is what I think, I have caught the exact ants as well.

colo3000

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 pm

I really wish I was 18 so I could sell my other tetramorium queen and nanitics I have in a test tube setup. I'm only 17 and I can drive but sadly I'm not an "adult" yet. The GAN project would be a good way for me to get rid of this starting tetramorium colony cause I'd hate to just throw it out in the wild and have it die.
-Colo3000

Cal113

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:14 pm

You could see if your parents will come with you or another guardian/mentor? Idk I might have the same prob considering that I'm turning 17 and have some extra queens
Keeper of:

Mekneys

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:41 pm

Haven't been on here in a while, glad so many people are having success! I caught 10 Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis just over a month ago, two queens have their first nanitics, and one queen had eaten her eggs but has luckily just started laying new eggs this past week. Also, one queen has passed away leaving a single worker behind, does anyone know if it's possible that worker could join another queen by chance? Wish I lived closer to the mountains so I could have caught some Camponotus queens, but oh well. Hope you all have success with your new queens!

Cal113

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:42 am

Nice dude, yesterday I saw a group of about 5 lasius queens spaced a couple feet apart but couldn't find a nest entrance that they might have been coming out of. Also didn't spot any male alaetes... A couple of them flew off after about half an hour

I'm not sure what this was and if they were fertile queens so I didn't catch any. Does anyone know what they were doing?
Keeper of:

Cal113

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi all, I don't know if anyone still is paying any attention to this thread but does anyone know how to catch an Argentine Ant Queen? I've been trying really hard and I can't seem to find any, so I'm thinking that maybe I'll go and try to dig one up because they're invasive...

Thoughts?
Keeper of:

Dearth335

Re: Colorado Nuszspital Flights

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:40 pm

You have to either dig them up or find them on the surface while their spreading the colony. This is due to them latin in the nest. Where do you find Argentine ants in colorado?

Cal113

Re: Colorado Nuszspital Flights

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Dearth335 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:40 pm
You have to either dig them up or find them on the surface while their spreading the colony. This is due to them latin in the nest. Where do you find Argentine ants in colorado?
There are a bunch in the Westminster and Louisville area... they can often be found near pogonomyrmex mounds
Keeper of: