Nuptial Flight: West TN & surrounding areas

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

warhawk373

Re: Nuptial Flight: West TN & surrounding areas

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:51 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:31 pm
This is preferably for Batspiderfish or Martialis.... or anyone else that would know :-)
The last 2 days here in West Tennessee we had a strong cold front. Highs were only in the low 60s high 50s with some rain and lows at night dipping down into the low 40s. Now that its warming back up how long do you think it would take for nuptial flights to start again? Today is supposed to get around 70 so could they start again as early as today? Or do they need to "warm up" a couple more days?
Me again, in western Ky, had the exact same weather as you and I couldn't find anything except workers today. I was turning over logs, scanning everywhere, under leaves, near large colonies and didn't see any queens. I did find one last week though but she was by herself in the morning which makes me think she was an early bloomer.

xTNxANTMANx

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:39 pm

Ok, so im pretty sure Camponotus nearcticus had a flight yesterday/last night. I found 2 yesterday and 6 more last night. The only thing is I'm scared some may have not been mated yet as there were all within a 2 foot area next to a pine tree. Scattered but close. That was last night anyway. Also, today...i got super lucky and found 2 Camponotus penn. queens just an hr ago. I do believe they were from a flight possibly a few days ago as one already had 7 eggs. The other I'm not sure cuz I got excited when she took off and dropped the piece of wood she was in. So, i took 3 eggs from the other and have to get. Hope it was a good decision...she immediately took them up, cleaned them and stacked them kinda. I'll post pics of them soon. They are so big and pretty. I'm so happy as it was a special the top of my list.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

warhawk373

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:20 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Ok, so im pretty sure Camponotus nearcticus had a flight yesterday/last night. I found 2 yesterday and 6 more last night. The only thing is I'm scared some may have not been mated yet as there were all within a 2 foot area next to a pine tree. Scattered but close. That was last night anyway. Also, today...i got super lucky and found 2 Camponotus penn. queens just an hr ago. I do believe they were from a flight possibly a few days ago as one already had 7 eggs. The other I'm not sure cuz I got excited when she took off and dropped the piece of wood she was in. So, i took 3 eggs from the other and have to get. Hope it was a good decision...she immediately took them up, cleaned them and stacked them kinda. I'll post pics of them soon. They are so big and pretty. I'm so happy as it was a special the top of my list.
Nice, I haven't found a queen since that one I found a couple weeks ago, and she hasn't laid eggs. After looking for them every day for 3-4 weeks I got bummed out after not finding them. It was always perfect weather too, sunny, showers the day before, not very windy. So now I just kinda look when I go places but I don't drive to places specifically to look for them like I did. I've found a couple colonies around my house though and I look outside a couple times every day so I assume if they fly I'll see them. I sure hope I can start a colony this year

xTNxANTMANx

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:46 am

warhawk373 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:20 pm
xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Nice, I haven't found a queen since that one I found a couple weeks ago, and she hasn't laid eggs. After looking for them every day for 3-4 weeks I got bummed out after not finding them. It was always perfect weather too, sunny, showers the day before, not very windy. So now I just kinda look when I go places but I don't drive to places specifically to look for them like I did. I've found a couple colonies around my house though and I look outside a couple times every day so I assume if they fly I'll see them. I sure hope I can start a colony this year
I have been keeping my eye out everywhere I go. Also, flights are just beginning for most species. Late April through June is the most popular time to catch from everything I have read. Just don't give up. I have been super bummed for awhile now not find anything but finally paid off.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Wed May 10, 2017 11:41 pm

Lasius interjectus is flying again tonight. I saw a few drones as well as 2 queens I caught but since they are social parasites I let them go. Wish i had a Lasius colony to try and start those ladies off with but oh well. Just a heads up for anyone looking for this species.....
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Tue May 16, 2017 11:22 pm

Last night I seen one Camponotus castaneus drone. Tonight while I was on break at work I counted about 10 Camponotus castaneus drones so they must be having a nuptial flight. I pray I can find one or two queens of this species. It is at the very top of my want-to-keep list :-) I am definitely willing to buy or trade if anyone happens upon these Queens.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Thu May 18, 2017 11:35 pm

Camponotus castaneus has to be having a nuptial flight either right now or in the morning or something. Around 9 p.m. and when I got off work at 11:15 p.m. tonight there were so many drones around the light poles. I searched both times with no luck in finding the first queen. Anyone know why there would be so many drones but no queens? There had to be a hundred or more drones all around. Just a heads up though
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Fri May 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Again tonight, more Camponotus castaneus drones and no queens....im staring to get frustrated with them gals lol. It doesn't help I work evening shift and only have like 10 mins to look once I see them. I just got off work though and on my way home so maybe I can find something at my house. I did find two smaller Queens at my work right before finding the drones but I have yet to identify them. They look to be maybe 4-5mm in length. I can say that tonight would be a perfect night to do some hunting. Possibly first thing in the morning as well. Good luck everyone
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:41 am

Just witnessed Formica subsericea having a nuptial flight...so hope I can find a fertile queen or 2...
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Getting things ready for the new season of queen hunting XD...i am not completely sure if I wanna go for a P. impairis (sure i misspelled that lol) but if amyome does see any be sure to post! Looking forward to another great year of antkeeping...
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2