Nuptial Flight: West TN & surrounding areas

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

xTNxANTMANx

Nuptial Flight: West TN & surrounding areas

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:17 am

I'm hoping to start this thread with the luck of meeting fellow ant enthusiast in the Wes TN area as well as relaying info on nuptial flights/sightings. With luck, it will be here soon. I also plan to try to be a GAN farmer in my area. Hoping to have a great year in catching many queens. :) Good luck everyone
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Re: Nuptial Flight: West TN & surrounding areas

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:40 am

So, I can see there's a lot of activity around my area...lol. Any luck guys? I have found 1 unidentified Queen with a few workers so far. They are doing great. I shall post pictures to get them identify soon as I can. Hopefully in the next day or two. If there's anyone around my area feel free to message. Would love to have a partner in crime :-)
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

warhawk373

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:34 am

I'm in western Kentucky, so just north of you, and the weather doesn't look so great here. It was warm one week and now it's freezing. I haven't seen a single ant yet. Hopefully they are just huddled up waiting for a good consistent amount of warm weather. Once it looks clear I'm going to check around my public pool (xD everyone drops food there so lots of ant colonies) I'll report back if I find anything but it might be a while, this whole week is below 50

xTNxANTMANx

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Well, according to the weather app I have, they temp starting today will be in the 60s and 70s for at least a week. :o Hoping I can get some queens! CANT WAIT
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

warhawk373

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:16 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:01 pm
Well, according to the weather app I have, they temp starting today will be in the 60s and 70s for at least a week. :o Hoping I can get some queens! CANT WAIT
Same here, I'll defiantly be on the look-out

xTNxANTMANx

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:06 pm

Great news. I just check the weather for the next few days and tomorrow a few thunderstorms with highs in the 60s and then the next three to four days after Sunny with highs in the high 70s low 80s. If I'm correct that sounds like perfect weather for nuptial flights. I'll definitely keep everyone posted if I find anything.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Okay yesterday we had a ton of rain. Well not a ton but we had a lot of rain up until last night sometime. As of right now the temperature is 72 degrees and supposed to be in the low to mid-80s the next three days at least with being sunny to partly cloudy. So anyone around West Tennessee I would definitely be on the lookout! I know I will be once I get off work today :-). I'm off for the next 4 days after today so hopefully I'll get lucky and find more than just one but I would be happy with one Queen. Good luck my friends!
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

warhawk373

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm here in west Ky, I've been on the lookout the last week with the rain and warm weather but so far I haven't seen anything. I've been keeping track of about 5 different campanotos colonies though and they are all extremely active, I haven't seen any males lingering near the nest so I have no idea when they are going to fly. I think the thing that's holding them up is night time. Here it drops to low 60's at night, sometimes high 50's, which is discouraging them to start their flight I believe.

xTNxANTMANx

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Same here, I have been seeing good activity but that's it so far. And I am constantly on the lookout. I did manage to find a queen yesterday at work on the side of a tree but she was quick and couldn't find her once she fled under a piece of bark. Maybe we will get lucky soon :-)
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:31 pm

This is preferably for Batspiderfish or Martialis.... or anyone else that would know :-)
The last 2 days here in West Tennessee we had a strong cold front. Highs were only in the low 60s high 50s with some rain and lows at night dipping down into the low 40s. Now that its warming back up how long do you think it would take for nuptial flights to start again? Today is supposed to get around 70 so could they start again as early as today? Or do they need to "warm up" a couple more days?
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2