Oregon/Washington Ant Sightings Post Here!!!

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

JCassel94

Re: Oregon/Washington Ant Sightings Post Here!!!

Mon May 22, 2017 5:18 pm

I caught a camponotus queen! caught her around 3pm today and I found her crawling around in my garage, but in my excitement and because she was in a high up and awkward place, I accidentally injured her a bit trying to catch her :(, but hopefully she will recover. She's ripped off her wings, so it looks like she's fertilized. Hope she makes it, she's my first queen I've ever caught!

SamuelMamuel

Mon May 22, 2017 9:19 pm

First queen ever, baby!! A gorgeous camponautus!!
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Camponotus pennsylvanicus
--Formica Sp.

SamuelMamuel

Tue May 23, 2017 12:04 am

JCassel94 wrote:
I caught a camponotus queen! caught her around 3pm today and I found her crawling around in my garage, but in my excitement and because she was in a high up and awkward place, I accidentally injured her a bit trying to catch her :(, but hopefully she will recover. She's ripped off her wings, so it looks like she's fertilized. Hope she makes it, she's my first queen I've ever caught!
That's actually crazy that we got them on the same day. Mine was in a tarp. I noticed her wing scars and almost screamed with excitement
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Formica Sp.

JCassel94

Tue May 23, 2017 4:23 am

Lol, sweet. I was pretty much the same when I noticed she was missing two of her wings. Going to go on a search around my neighborhood tomorrow to see if I can find a couple more now that I know for sure that camponotus is flying now.

SamuelMamuel

Tue May 23, 2017 8:36 am

JCassel94 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 4:23 am
Lol, sweet. I was pretty much the same when I noticed she was missing two of her wings. Going to go on a search around my neighborhood tomorrow to see if I can find a couple more now that I know for sure that camponotus is flying now.
As soon as she was in a test tube setup, I was searching around my neighborhood. No luck though.
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Formica Sp.

xTNxANTMANx

Tue May 23, 2017 5:21 pm

JCassel94 wrote:
Just a heads up that just because a queen tears her wings off does not mean she is fertile. It's not even a sign that she could possibly be fertile. It's a very big misunderstanding LOL
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

brikhouse4

Tue May 23, 2017 9:13 pm

Ill chime in as well, caught a camponotus queen yesterday out here on north oregon coast. I'll bet that with more warm temps coming in the next few days we'll be seeing more nuptial flights.

SamuelMamuel

Tue May 23, 2017 11:42 pm

brikhouse4 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:13 pm
Ill chime in as well, caught a camponotus queen yesterday out here on north oregon coast. I'll bet that with more warm temps coming in the next few days we'll be seeing more nuptial flights.
I would love to find something besides camponautus. I don't have the patience for them
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Formica Sp.

SamuelMamuel

Thu May 25, 2017 9:08 pm

Just caught two more Camponautus today. No more of them for me. Waiting for something else now
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Formica Sp.

RainbowScience

Thu May 25, 2017 10:03 pm

I haven't managed to find any yet, not that I have a lot of time to look. I haven't spotted any dead alates though which bothers me. I know I have Camponotus in the area, as I see the occasional worker or major.