OH-KY-IN-IL-MI Nuptial Flight Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Martialis

OH-KY-IN-IL-MI Nuptial Flight Sightings

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:26 pm

In preparation for this year's nuptial flights, I've created this thread. On here, feel free to post any sightings of queens, males, or nuptial flights for Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, and Michigan.

As our states are roughly in the same area, hopefully we can help each other out as to when species are flying. :)
Keeper of

Selliing:

SpeciesK

Re: OH-KY-IN-IL-MI Nuptial Flight Sightings

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:15 am

Hey, this is exactly what I was hoping was on here! And I looked yesterday, and I don't see any ants or any other insects yet. Imagine that, no insects out walking around the end of January in Indiana. Stunning, huh... :oops:

Martialis

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:56 am

SpeciesK wrote:Hey, this is exactly what I was hoping was on here! And I looked yesterday, and I don't see any ants or any other insects yet. Imagine that, no insects out walking around the end of January in Indiana. Stunning, huh... :oops:
Haha, lol. Hopefully by spring these weird bouts of warm weather for a few days then cold weather will have stopped.
Keeper of

Selliing:

aceruxer

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:26 pm

Ky here burst of hot and cold days on the hot days I have seen some ant activity in the ground but that's about it so prepared this year I bought 60 test tubes and I'm about to build a vacuum Aspen and maybe buy a couple of AntsCanada formicariums got one right now of the Omni nest best thing I ever bought had a little problem with the shipping and the outworld was cracked and messed up but the guys there helped me out tremendously and was very quick with getting me a new top no charges and I've heard that solenopsis is slowly on its way into Kentucky so I'm hoping maybe to spot a Queen definitely stay posted with anything I see here

Martialis

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:16 pm

Great to see an interest in this thread. :)
Keeper of

Selliing:

Onyxiguana

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:07 am

Being a person who lives in the northern Illinois area, I too will probably invest some time with this thread. Before winter really settled I managed to snag a Tapinoma Sessile queen, but now I'm not so sure about her fertility but then again it still is kinda cold so she might be waiting till spring. What I'm hoping is for some Camponotous sightings soon, would love to raise some fairly large looking ants. I'll try to contribute hopefully to this thread as well.
Current Queens:
(2) Tetramorium Imimgrans

ultraex2

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Northern Illinois here too - I'll definitely post when I see any nuptial flights. I read on another forum that someone down in Colinsville Il saw some Prenolepis Imparis drones flying around Tuesday but other than that I think it's been too cold. It's supposed to be mid/high 50s this weekend so with any luck there may be some this weekend.

Onyxiguana

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:29 am

Based on the weather, I'd say the best might be Wednesday this week in Northern Illinois, since the day before it rains. Or next Saturday, not this week's upcoming Saturday. I'd be on the lookout for False Honeypot/Winter ant queens since they tend to fly first.
Current Queens:
(2) Tetramorium Imimgrans

Martialis

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:09 am

It's quite possible Indiana might see some action. By Monday, it'll be somewhat cloudy and 70 degrees.

A couple of good weather sites are https://wunderground.com and https://www.weather.gov.
Keeper of

Selliing:

ultraex2

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Upper 60s to 70s in northern Illinois today - keep an eye out this weekend!
If I find anything I'll let you all know.