OH-KY-IN-IL-MI Nuptial Flight Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

ItShallBeJordan

Re: OH-KY-IN-IL-MI Nuptial Flight Sightings

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:14 pm

Today I found what I thought was a founding champer, i dug around it to find a colony. These ants are less then a centimeter long and blackish grey. It started raining so I brought what I had dug in the jar inside and looked thru it for quite awhile and didnt see any that stuck out as the queen. Im going to keep them over night and see if i can find the queen tommorow, will keep yall posted.
Ant Keeping Motto
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
I like reptiles, turtles, tortoises, amphibians, mammals and of course ants!

Icchan

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:01 am

I'm in cleveland and will be making runs to look for some winter ants over the next few weeks.
Weather here is so temperamental i don't know if they've already started flying, or the elates are just aren't willing to put up with the hot/cold switch for a while.
will update as i can

ultraex2

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:36 pm

Martialis wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:11 am
Just out of curiosity, how did you determine L. claviger?

I didn't catch anything yesterday and no P. imparis Monday. I did, however, kidnap a Camponotus chromaiodes queen with nanitics. :)
I found about 8 of them fall last year and it looked exactly the same as the others - plus, I introduced lasius claviger workers (can tell by the citrus smell) successfully to them.

SpeciesK

Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:37 am

ItShallBeJordan wrote:
Today I found what I thought was a founding champer, i dug around it to find a colony. These ants are less then a centimeter long and blackish grey. It started raining so I brought what I had dug in the jar inside and looked thru it for quite awhile and didnt see any that stuck out as the queen. Im going to keep them over night and see if i can find the queen tommorow, will keep yall posted.
Did you find a queen? That would be great. Big blackish-grey ants sound interesting.

ItShallBeJordan

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:36 am

SpeciesK wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:37 am
ItShallBeJordan wrote:
Did you find a queen? That would be great. Big blackish-grey ants sound interesting.
These ants were quite small and I do not believe I found the queen.
Ant Keeping Motto
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
I like reptiles, turtles, tortoises, amphibians, mammals and of course ants!

warhawk373

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:28 am

Bad news for areas around western Kentucky. The temp the past week has been around 70 F and scattered showers, fairly perfect weather to signal the nuptial flight. However, this week will be in the 30-40 temp with freezing rain. Hopefully nothing came out last week because this week will be brutal on them. Looks like we will have to wait till late March/April to start the search for our queens. At least it will give me enough time to complete my setup and test all the equipment.

Martialis

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:52 am

Same here. I've noticed with weather trends that it starts to get warmer mid march.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Cappy64

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:52 pm

Im in Cincinnati and am hoping to catch my first queen sometime soon. I haven't seen any ants so far outside though. Maybe when this last cold burst is over they will come out?

Icchan

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:07 am

Cappy64 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:52 pm
Im in Cincinnati and am hoping to catch my first queen sometime soon. I haven't seen any ants so far outside though. Maybe when this last cold burst is over they will come out?
We're in Ohio, we wont be truly safe until May!

but with warm whether and rain coming, if it holds up for the next week, we may have a shot.

Martialis

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:47 pm

~70 degrees here in central IN, windy though. i suspect something may have flown or will fly by Saturday.
Keeper of

Selliing: