OH-KY-IN-IL-MI Nuptial Flight Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Martialis

Re: OH-KY-IN-IL-MI Nuptial Flight Sightings

Thu May 11, 2017 6:23 am

Hey guys! Camponotus flew here last night, as well as either Nylanderia or Tapinoma (I haven't identified that queen yet.). I caught two queens which seem to be doing okay at the moment. :)
Keeper of

Selliing:

ultraex2

Mon May 15, 2017 11:16 am

Not sure what it is - but some kind of small aphaenogaster-looking ant flew over the weekend - I caught 9 of them. Working on getting pictures for an ID hopefully later today - will edit this post when I can get it ID'd.

tlrieman76

Tue May 16, 2017 1:25 pm

Found two camponotus in last day here in central Ohio. First one still has both wings and found on front porch ~10:15pm last evening. Found the second one on state house steps upside down today while eating my lunch. I thought she was dead. No wings and seems pretty lethargic.

We searched for weeks last year before finally finding one camponotus queen. Now I have found 2 that quick. Crazy!

Martialis

Tue May 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Congrats!
Keeper of

Selliing:

ultraex2

Thu May 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Since I can't edit my post - I got the 9 queens I caught on the 13th identified as Stenamma Brevicorne . I haven't found any journals of people trying to raise them, so we'll see what happens!

tlrieman76

Sat May 20, 2017 9:50 pm

My son being the naturalist he is was transplanting some oak tree saplings that were doubled up in pots to separate pots this evening with his grandpa. They found 4 more camponotus queens in the old pots. They didn't see any eggs yet so he transferred them to tubes. We had sooo much trouble finding a queen last year and are now up to 6 new queens this year. Not sure what we will do with them all. Hoping someone in Ohio will want to take one or two eventually. The queen I found at the Ohio State House has already laid a couple eggs. She was so lathargic and then so happy to get a drink of water from cotton when we got her in tube. This is so much fun!

Martialis

Sat May 20, 2017 11:04 pm

tlrieman76 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 9:50 pm
My son being the naturalist he is was transplanting some oak tree saplings that were doubled up in pots to separate pots this evening with his grandpa. They found 4 more camponotus queens in the old pots. They didn't see any eggs yet so he transferred them to tubes. We had sooo much trouble finding a queen last year and are now up to 6 new queens this year. Not sure what we will do with them all. Hoping someone in Ohio will want to take one or two eventually. The queen I found at the Ohio State House has already laid a couple eggs. She was so lathargic and then so happy to get a drink of water from cotton when we got her in tube. This is so much fun!
Congrats! I found a Camponotus castaeneus male last night. No queens though.
Keeper of

Selliing:

xTNxANTMANx

Sun May 21, 2017 1:25 am

I have seen countless Camponotus castaneus drones over the 5 days. I have been searching my heart out looking for a queen as I want this species most of all. I truly hope I can find one this year. I have a few nests by my house and I love them
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

LukeTheGreat

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:31 pm

Camponotous Pennsylvanicusmare flying in southeast Michigan

Martialis

Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Yup! I bet they have been for a bit now. I saw Tetramorium flew in Virginia, and I expect they'll do the same here soon.
Keeper of

Selliing: