Ant Nuptial Flight Schedules in Grand Junction Colorado

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Sethinski

Ant Nuptial Flight Schedules in Grand Junction Colorado

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:38 pm

So i have recently become very interested in ants and i want to start my own ant colony.Now this was going great and i have done lot of research but now i am stuck on finding a queen.My current problem is i can't find what kind of queen ants live in my area and when there Nuptial Flight happens. Anybody Know?

colo3000

Re: Ant Nuptial Flight Schedules in Grand Junction Colorado

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm from Northern Colorado and I've also been looking into ant keeping. I've done a little research for common ants in Colorado and I've come up with Pavement Ants (Tetramorium), Field Ants (Formica), Sugar Ants or Odorous House Ants (Tapinoma Sessile), and Carpenter Ants (Camponotus). AntsCanada has a video on nuptial flights that tells when different ant species fly. In that video I found Tetramorium mate in the April-July range, Formica are June-August, and Camponotus are April-July. Do a quick Google search on these different ant types to learn more about where they are found or any other information you want. I hope this helped! Good luck with finding a queen!
-Colo3000

martinnate

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:30 pm

You also have the harvester ants in Colorado. I know b\c I have seen them there. Happy anting.

Martialis

Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Honeypots in some parts also. Myrmecocystus sp.
Keeper of

Selliing: