Interesting thinking

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

blackpython99

Interesting thinking

Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:29 pm

Today (11/2) I spotted a solenopsis invicta queen here in Texas. This would normally be out of the ordinary (because it's late in the season) but I have still been seeing a couple each week. I think the warm weather we have had this fall, might have something to do with it. So if you live in the south like me, keep looking, they are still out there.
But as I was watching this queen do her thing, a thought came to me. I wonder if catching a queen late in the season lowers your chances of the queen being fertile. This might happen because the queen is just now flying, and might have missed nuptial flights from other colonies where she could have mated with new males. If this is true then catching queens later in the season decreases your chances of having a fertile female and starting your colony.
Any thoughts?

AqdasHassaan

Re: Interesting thinking

Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:12 pm

blackpython99 wrote:Today (11/2) I spotted a solenopsis invicta queen here in Texas. This would normally be out of the ordinary (because it's late in the season) but I have still been seeing a couple each week. I think the warm weather we have had this fall, might have something to do with it. So if you live in the south like me, keep looking, they are still out there.
But as I was watching this queen do her thing, a thought came to me. I wonder if catching a queen late in the season lowers your chances of the queen being fertile. This might happen because the queen is just now flying, and might have missed nuptial flights from other colonies where she could have mated with new males. If this is true then catching queens later in the season decreases your chances of having a fertile female and starting your colony.
Any thoughts?
well if you ask me, their nuptial flights not only depends on the weather conditions but also on the nuptial flights of their neighboring colonies so they'll have their flights with them since they can feel the presence of nuptial flights in the air. So the point is its not right to say that their chances of being fertile is low as they only emerge out of their burrows when they know their surrounding colonies are also flying.

Theantguy13

Re: Interesting thinking

Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:56 pm

Your words are true. I caught 8 solenopsis Xyloni queens yesterday in so cal