Florida (USA) Nuptial Flights?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

ordenrahl

Re: Florida (USA) Nuptial Flights?

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:13 pm

I live in Orlando, I had two camponotus queens this summer but unfortunately one didn't make it. I spent the summer months casually looking and found them while gardening on my front yard. I was pulling multch back from a tree trunk and found them up against the loose bark of the tree. I peeled some of the bark back an there they were!I live in a neighborhood as well so you may try that.

Good luck!

scoin86

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:56 pm

WiseHollow wrote:It actually rained for about an hour last night at 9:00pm. So, I will be outside for most of today. I will also drive to a nearby garden/park to get away from all the civilization, and perhaps will have better luck. :)
any luck there?

MrUrrutia

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:19 pm

Im aiming to look for Camponotus Floridanus this spring, tentatively i will start getting more active on my search by May-June but i will like to know if some of you believe i shoukd start looking earlier on the year.

Thanks

Antoniomisztal

Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:36 pm

I live in Florida too and great ways to find queens are by looking by a nearby pavement (sidewalk) or in piles my a curb

Founded queens
Formica haematoda
Tetromorium species e
False Honeypot ants
The keeper of Solenopsis geminata

WiseHollow

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Thank you for all the tips. Over the past couple months, finding ants has been more than successful. I found 3 of one species, and 1 of another. Super happy and excited that my first queen has its first 3 workers. :)