Too late to catch queens?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Barfdog

Too late to catch queens?

Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:30 pm

Hello guys and gals, I live in Cave Creek Arizona, so basically I live in Phoenix. I've been trying to catch my first ever queen the last few days with little luck. I've identified in my backyard what seems to be either Messor pergandei, the (black desert harvesters). Either that or they may be Tetramorium but they have telltale Messor pergandei characteristics, like having multiples entrances and exits to there nest, and making it look like a little crater. I tried digging up the queen and quickly separating the dirt to find her but she was too far dug in. Now I'm just worried I will have 0 luck finding a founding queen. I feel like only established colony's are around my area. Any Arizonians looking for queens I'm down to meet up, or at least share information. But what would be the best method to find the queens this time of year? Thank you all.
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

nightxwolf88

Re: Too late to catch queens?

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:55 am

You can still have flights through November so don't give up. If you don't spot wandering queens just flip rocks, logs, and such.

Barfdog

Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:33 pm

nightxwolf88 wrote:You can still have flights through November so don't give up. If you don't spot wandering queens just flip rocks, logs, and such.
Awesome, okay it's raining right now so I'm gonna look when It dies down. :D
Keeper of:

Phimadams

Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:57 pm

I never looked forward to rain so much!!!!! :)

larynx

Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:29 pm

you still have time. Some Lasius sp. fly until late, and Solenopsis sp. fly until really late. Im sure some other do too. :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Barfdog

Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:37 pm

larynx wrote:you still have time. Some Lasius sp. fly until late, and Solenopsis sp. fly until really late. Im sure some other do too. :D
I was at work last night and had my laptop open and I'm pretty sure a queen alate was on my computer screen. I have containers on me now. :D
Keeper of:

Rafiredog

Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:37 pm

where would you look for a queen lasius at? I have been checking my local park along paved walkways. Any better spots?

Antcrisp

Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:43 pm

Rafiredog wrote:where would you look for a queen lasius at? I have been checking my local park along paved walkways. Any better spots?
Yea same here,i've been going to 4 parks and daily walks with no queen on sight.

Barfdog

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:11 am

Antcrisp wrote:
Rafiredog wrote:where would you look for a queen lasius at? I have been checking my local park along paved walkways. Any better spots?
Yea same here,i've been going to 4 parks and daily walks with no queen on sight.
No luck here at all today, checked at all time of the day (early morn, afternoon, night). I even resorted to posting a Craigslist wanted ad for queen/colony adoption or going to known good places with me to make a trip this weekend lol. Need a queen before it gets cold:(
Keeper of:

Antcrisp

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:31 am

Barfdog wrote:
Antcrisp wrote:
No luck here at all today, checked at all time of the day (early morn, afternoon, night). I even resorted to posting a Craigslist wanted ad for queen/colony adoption or going to known good places with me to make a trip this weekend lol. Need a queen before it gets cold:(
Same here no luck :((. Yea same here especially since ia getting closer to winter now. Also we haven't had rain here in Neveda. I'll problaly go up to the mountains tomorrow.