Too late to catch queens?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderators: larynx, ooper01

Barfdog
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Re: Too late to catch queens?

Post: # 12015Post Barfdog
Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:51 pm

Yea same here,i've been going to 4 parks and daily walks with no queen on sight.
No luck here at all today, checked at all time of the day (early morn, afternoon, night). I even resorted to posting a Craigslist wanted ad for queen/colony adoption or going to known good places with me to make a trip this weekend lol. Need a queen before it gets cold:(
Same here no luck :((. Yea same here especially since ia getting closer to winter now. Also we haven't had rain here in Neveda. I'll problaly go up to the mountains tomorrow.

Looked today in a nearby desert and dug up some smaller species, got only one potential queen, I'm just saying that because it looks more like a major but it's definitely larger then the rest so maybe we will see some brood in a week or so. I'll try and get a good picture but It doesn't have a larger Thorax, resembles a major but was the only large ant to be seen so I took her just in case.

Barfdog
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Re: Too late to catch queens?

Post: # 12016Post Barfdog
Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:54 pm

Oh and I also discovered the first colony in the initial post I found out they are a type of Formica I think because they were a hint of red but mostly black, and I realize now I saw a few trying to shoot acid at me...through there butts. :o

Antcrisp
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:09 am

Re: Too late to catch queens?

Post: # 12032Post Antcrisp
Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:08 am

Barfdog wrote:Oh and I also discovered the first colony in the initial post I found out they are a type of Formica I think because they were a hint of red but mostly black, and I realize now I saw a few trying to shoot acid at me...through there butts. :o
Lucky! I still got nothing lol,wow i wonder what type of ants are those. Im new to the hobby so i really don't have any experience with ants lol. I din't kow they shoot acid i should be extra carefull then.

nightxwolf88
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:56 pm
Location: manlius

Re: Too late to catch queens?

Post: # 12035Post nightxwolf88
Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:46 am

Antcrisp wrote:
Barfdog wrote:Oh and I also discovered the first colony in the initial post I found out they are a type of Formica I think because they were a hint of red but mostly black, and I realize now I saw a few trying to shoot acid at me...through there butts. :o
Lucky! I still got nothing lol,wow i wonder what type of ants are those. Im new to the hobby so i really don't have any experience with ants lol. I din't kow they shoot acid i should be extra carefull then.
yes Formica and other spp. Of ants do spray formic acid. Lucky for us I don't think it really affects humans other than having like a vinegar smell.

Barfdog
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Re: Too late to catch queens?

Post: # 12212Post Barfdog
Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:14 am

nightxwolf88 wrote:
Antcrisp wrote:
Barfdog wrote:Oh and I also discovered the first colony in the initial post I found out they are a type of Formica I think because they were a hint of red but mostly black, and I realize now I saw a few trying to shoot acid at me...through there butts. :o
Lucky! I still got nothing lol,wow i wonder what type of ants are those. Im new to the hobby so i really don't have any experience with ants lol. I din't kow they shoot acid i should be extra carefull then.
yes Formica and other spp. Of ants do spray formic acid. Lucky for us I don't think it really affects humans other than having like a vinegar smell.
I thought it was funny because while I was observing them some noticed me and starting shaking their booty's at me and I didn't know what they were doing and now I know lol. I just imagine them like "ESCAPE IS FUTILE" *Shoots acid at me* "What are they doing" *Scratching head*

AntLove4Ever
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: Too late to catch queens?

Post: # 17010Post AntLove4Ever
Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:05 am

BarfDog, don't worry, if you look a couple times a day for the next couple of months I am positive you will find them! On Wednesday I said to myself "maybe we just don't have flights in the city" and then on Friday Rover ants were flying and I caught 5 queens from a colony of Pharoah ants :o :lol:

And hey, we live in the same city so we should get in touch with eachother sometime. As I said before, I have 5 queen Pharoah ants so let me know if you want any.

Martialis
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:30 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Too late to catch queens?

Post: # 17012Post Martialis
Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:48 pm

AntLove4Ever wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:05 am
BarfDog, don't worry, if you look a couple times a day for the next couple of months I am positive you will find them! On Wednesday I said to myself "maybe we just don't have flights in the city" and then on Friday Rover ants were flying and I caught 5 queens from a colony of Pharoah ants :o :lol:

And hey, we live in the same city so we should get in touch with eachother sometime. As I said before, I have 5 queen Pharoah ants so let me know if you want any.
What makes you think they're those species?
Keeper of

Tetramorium sp.

Crematogaster sp.

Past Queens/colonies:

Ponera pennsylvanica

AntLove4Ever
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: Too late to catch queens?

Post: # 17015Post AntLove4Ever
Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:51 pm

What do you mean? They are really not that hard to Id. Rover ants are some of the smallest species around and very abundant. The pharoah ants are the same. I'm not sure what you mean by that, do you think I'm wrong? :lol:

AntLove4Ever
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: Too late to catch queens?

Post: # 17016Post AntLove4Ever
Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 pm

Martialis wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:48 pm
AntLove4Ever wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:05 am
BarfDog, don't worry, if you look a couple times a day for the next couple of months I am positive you will find them! On Wednesday I said to myself "maybe we just don't have flights in the city" and then on Friday Rover ants were flying and I caught 5 queens from a colony of Pharoah ants :o :lol:

And hey, we live in the same city so we should get in touch with eachother sometime. As I said before, I have 5 queen Pharoah ants so let me know if you want any.
What makes you think they're those species?
What do you mean? Do you think I'm wrong or what, lol

Martialis
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:30 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Too late to catch queens?

Post: # 17032Post Martialis
Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:06 pm

AntLove4Ever wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 pm
Martialis wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:48 pm
AntLove4Ever wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:05 am
BarfDog, don't worry, if you look a couple times a day for the next couple of months I am positive you will find them! On Wednesday I said to myself "maybe we just don't have flights in the city" and then on Friday Rover ants were flying and I caught 5 queens from a colony of Pharoah ants :o :lol:

And hey, we live in the same city so we should get in touch with eachother sometime. As I said before, I have 5 queen Pharoah ants so let me know if you want any.
What makes you think they're those species?
What do you mean? Do you think I'm wrong or what, lol
No, but I've not heard of either Brahchymyrmex/i] or Monomorium/i] flying early in the year.


Then again, you may have obtained some last season. ;)
Keeper of

Tetramorium sp.

Crematogaster sp.

Past Queens/colonies:

Ponera pennsylvanica

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest