Ohio-Kentucky Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Mongo319

Re: Ohio-Kentucky Sightings

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:34 am

It has the scars where the wings used to be and I don't have a camera good enough for better pictures I tried

Martialis

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:58 am

Mongo319 wrote:It has the scars where the wings used to be and I don't have a camera good enough for better pictures I tried
There's a trick Batspiderfish has posted, where you emulate a fisheye lens by putting a drop of water on your phone's camera lens. It might work.
Keeper of

Selliing:

LostInTheVoid

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:10 pm

Came back home from vacation and found a bunch of winged ants dead in my childs play toy. Happen to dump out a sand shovel of hers with water and a ant queen was in there. I am 95% sure since its the biggest I have found, has wings and looks like nothing I thought was a queen before. I would post pictures but my phone never focus and I am trying to let the queen rest from almost drowning. Hope she had time to mate before her swim :s.

LostInTheVoid

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:43 pm

LostInTheVoid wrote:Came back home from vacation and found a bunch of winged ants dead in my childs play toy. Happen to dump out a sand shovel of hers with water and a ant queen was in there. I am 95% sure since its the biggest I have found, has wings and looks like nothing I thought was a queen before. I would post pictures but my phone never focus and I am trying to let the queen rest from almost drowning. Hope she had time to mate before her swim :s.

I can't get the picture to show up in post but here is a link. Lexington Ky 3:30pm 10/04/2016

https://plus.google.com/114867355639617 ... Scyj1fu3td

Mongo319

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:13 pm

I got out my other queen to check her out today and the one I caught yesterday and I'm almost positive it's another crematogaster cerasi

Martialis

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:36 pm

LostInTheVoid wrote:Came back home from vacation and found a bunch of winged ants dead in my childs play toy. Happen to dump out a sand shovel of hers with water and a ant queen was in there. I am 95% sure since its the biggest I have found, has wings and looks like nothing I thought was a queen before. I would post pictures but my phone never focus and I am trying to let the queen rest from almost drowning. Hope she had time to mate before her swim :s.
I'd almost say Camponotus sp.
Keeper of

Selliing:

LostInTheVoid

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:45 pm

Martialis wrote:
Went to the id forum and they said Lasius neoniger. I looked at other pictures and seems to be a match.

dinoman9877

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:59 am

How are you people finding these when everywhere I look is just workers? :cry:

Martialis

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:21 am

LostInTheVoid wrote:
Martialis wrote:
Went to the id forum and they said Lasius neoniger. I looked at other pictures and seems to be a match.
woops.
Keeper of

Selliing:

LostInTheVoid

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:43 am

dinoman9877 wrote:How are you people finding these when everywhere I look is just workers? :cry:
Don't worry I had the same problem. I happen to get really lucky to find one. Seems like the more you go hunt, research the ants around you and learn when they are in flight the better luck you will have.