I just caught a queen!

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

catslover

I just caught a queen!

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:47 am

A week or so ago, I went to a friends house. Then I found a queen floating in her pool! I quickly scooped her up and put her in a temporary setup. I think is a tetramorium Sp. E. I don't know if it is normal for a tetramorium to fly this late. :roll:

AntsRule

Re: I just caught a queen!

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:50 am

It is pretty late for them, pics and we can ID it for ya :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

catslover

Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:46 pm

Ok!

JacobSyndeo

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:13 pm

catslover wrote:A week or so ago, I went to a friends house. Then I found a queen floating in her pool! I quickly scooped her up and put her in a temporary setup. I think is a tetramorium Sp. E. I don't know if it is normal for a tetramorium to fly this late. :roll:
Congratulations; good save! :)

Batspiderfish

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:04 pm

Way too late for Tetramorium to be flying.
Let's get some pictures! ;)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AnthonyP163

Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:02 pm

Actually Batspiderfish, I caught a Tetramorium queen a few days ago. So I think he could have caught one...

Also, on a post a few days ago someone said that workers will sometimes decide to have flights in fall because it is hard to keep the queens fed for winter.

nightxwolf88

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:20 am

How in the world do workers have flights??? :shock:

dinoman9877

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:35 am

They don't...

Batspiderfish

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:36 pm

AnthonyP163 wrote:Actually Batspiderfish, I caught a Tetramorium queen a few days ago. So I think he could have caught one...

Also, on a post a few days ago someone said that workers will sometimes decide to have flights in fall because it is hard to keep the queens fed for winter.
If y'all want to post pictures, we can probably figure out what these queens are. I've found late Tetramorium before, but given the number of semi-claustral and social parasite species flying in the late fall, I want to make sure everybody is able to give their queens the proper care.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.