Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi Nuptial Flight Thread!!!!!

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AntsMclama

Re: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi Nuptial Flight Thread!!!!!

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:24 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:Ok, so I'm in west TN and I'm new to ant keeping but not other insects (mantids to be among my fav). It seems this group is rather close lol. I know its to late to find a queen so my only other option is to buy a queen. I also know she needs to be from my state so if anyone has any leads, feel free to inform me. Thanks guys (ands gals) :)
http://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/
There is currently a GAN farmer selling Species: Solenopsis sp. with 8 workers. 3 available to purchase.

That species is fire ants, and people don't recommend it for new ant keepers, But that is currently whats up for TN.

And i also don't think its too late to find a queen. Just the other day my dad was saying he saw tons of queens on the pavement, Which was right after a rain storm. Here in maryland though.

xTNxANTMANx

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:01 pm

Yea I have already attempted to contact that person but with no reply so far. Solenopsis is one I'm wanting to acquire. Mainly because as a kid I was always fascinated with them, watchin them make their trails and I would take another insect and watch how quick they would overcome it. They are quite amazing creatures. I have always been into keeping and caring for many types of creepy crawlies as most would say. And maybe I can still find a queen since they are still around so far north. I won't give up looking then just yet lol
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

AuntLinda

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:37 pm

OH MY GOSH. WE FOUND A QUEEN! I am soooo stoked! We took some photos but I am not sure how clear they are coming out just yet. She was under a plastic soil bin. We moved it and there were several tiny workers with some eggs right along the top of the ground. Barely even looked at it and boom there she was! She is huge. I will get a photo up as soon as possible. Southwest Florida. Punta Gorda.

AuntLinda

Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:53 pm

I see that I didn't post the video properly earlier but I am new at this. Bare with me. Are these more rifs? We were able to scoop up the queen 2 or 3 medium workers and maybe 20 or more very tiny ones. Also were some eggs but not many.