Question about nuptial flights

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Skyrumonkey

Question about nuptial flights

Fri May 24, 2019 12:34 am

I found a number of queens on a path near where I live in northeastern Ohio while taking a hike. However, I'm not ready to keep a colony right now but I marked the week down in my calendar. If I look in the same place the same weekend next year, how likely is it there will be a bunch of queens there? (For those who may be curious it was the 18th of May on Berlin Trail and I saw 3 separate queens and a male as well)

AGENTSCEPTILE

Re: Question about nuptial flights

Fri May 24, 2019 5:31 am

The chances of that happening are high because that means it is a good hotspot for queens. So I would say again that your chances of finding queens that time of year at that place is high! :mrgreen:

Happy Anting!
Keeper of
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Camponotus Novaeboracensus
5 Annoying anklebiter chickens :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2IzQmOdK5n09xcAzyaIJWA
Happy Anting! :mrgreen:

JoeHostile1

Re: Question about nuptial flights

Fri May 24, 2019 10:04 am

Well it’s dependant on the weather not a specific day. But if you found a colony that flew on a certain day one year it’s probably going to fly within a two week period or so as it did the year before. As long as the weather is typical.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA