'Tis the season of Formica (North America) Nuptial Flights

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

'Tis the season of Formica (North America) Nuptial Flights

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:17 pm

Hello ant lover from North America,

We have been getting a lot of reports and queen ant collection ID for various Formica species this month. For those in North America, keep your eyes open for Formica queens.

Good luck!

Mikey
Ant Love Forever.

KingAnt

Re: 'Tis the season of Formica (North America) Nuptial Flights

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:55 am

I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba ( Canada ) and I can confirm that at the very least Camponotus are flying about. I've caught 7 so far from just walking around at work.
Looking for a fire ant queen in Manitoba.

Cronolgical

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:34 pm

KingAnt wrote:I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba ( Canada ) and I can confirm that at the very least Camponotus are flying about. I've caught 7 so far from just walking around at work.
Why are you people so lucky? I just got back from walking around outside where I only saw 1 ant, wasn't even a queen and it might have just been a wingless wasp. This includes stalking around several "anthills" and checking under stones/rocks looking behind buildings and in part of a field.

KingAnt

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:01 pm

Cronolgical wrote:Why are you people so lucky? I just got back from walking around outside where I only saw 1 ant, wasn't even a queen and it might have just been a wingless wasp. This includes stalking around several "anthills" and checking under stones/rocks looking behind buildings and in part of a field.

I went to parks that are wooded, don't always stay on the paths. I went out and lifted old logs and what not. Got pretty dirty.
Looking for a fire ant queen in Manitoba.

Sasqwash13

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:14 pm

I just caught a Monomorium pharaohs queen which is my DREAM COLONY!!! :D

Cronolgical

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:37 pm

Sasqwash13 wrote:pharaohs queen which is my DREAM COLONY!!! :D
Did you hear about the Pharaohs ant colony this guy has (He runs around on Reddit called the "Pharaoh king")

He has a pharaoh nest of over 100,000 current ants (Estimated)

Sasqwash13

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:44 pm

I will have to look him up! thanks

Cronolgical

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:01 pm

Speaking of Nuptial flights I found this GREAT LIST for referencing when species typically fly!

http://www.ameisenhaltung.de/schwarmflug/

This is super helpful everyone should check it for authentication but it looks accurate to me.

Antscanada73

Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:03 pm

Cronolgical wrote:Speaking of Nuptial flights I found this GREAT LIST for referencing when species typically fly!

This is super helpful everyone should check it for authentication but it looks accurate to me.
Hey man this might of just helped me big time I'm trying to find lasuis niger but am not finding them. Now that you have mentioned this I might find some. :D :D :D :D

Cronolgical

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:15 pm

Antscanada73 wrote:
Cronolgical wrote:Speaking of Nuptial flights I found this GREAT LIST for referencing when species typically fly!

Hey man this might of just helped me big time I'm trying to find lasuis niger but am not finding them. Now that you have mentioned this I might find some. :D :D :D :D
I just wana find a "Thief Ant" their color is so cool!