Pennsylvania and Nearby Locations Nuptial Flight Sightings Thread

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AntsRule

Re: Pennsylvania and Nearby Locations Nuptial Flight Sightings Thread

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:46 pm

Lasius neoniger are ALL OVER! right on time for labor day :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Batspiderfish

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:07 pm

Exels1 wrote:Image

Hey guys,

Just a heads up, I caught 2 lasius flavus queens in my friends pool. 7pm in Reading,Pa. Looks like they are flying but I only had 1 test tube. Good luck
Your queen looks like Aphaenogaster. ;)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsRule

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:14 pm

It is just about time to lay this thread to bed for hibernation, see u in the spring thread ;)

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:45 pm

Guys, gals, and everybody in-between: We will still be seeing mating flights at least until the end of September! :D
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

nightxwolf88

Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:03 am

I was thinking the same thing! I'm still seeing flights and possibly more abundant than most of the year for me.

MCWren

Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:10 pm

My mom told me that her friends in Westchester county NY saw a massive citronella ant (Lasius social parasite sp.) nuptial flight, so large that they couldn't go outside without being hit by the alates. Sorry I'm late, this was actually a few days ago.

AntsRule

Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:25 pm

REALLY! all my flights seemed to have stopped, one big one and done. Same thing last year- mid-sept no flights. :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

Batspiderfish

Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:09 pm

At this point I think the ants are not as picky about their flight weather. They will mate at temperatures as low as 70 degrees, regardless of rainfall (but not when it is windy). If you do happen across a particularly warm day after rain, definitely take a gander!

JacobSyndeo

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:17 pm

I've had so much trouble finding any in the Pittsburgh area. I have my one Solenopsis molesta queen, but that's all.

She's been doing fine lately, still alive and moving about, but I don't even know if she's fertile. She's a relatively small species, so I don't think I'll even be able to see her eggs, if she even DOES lay them. And what if she waits until the spring to lay? So many variables…

AntsRule

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:38 pm

JacobSyndeo wrote:I've had so much trouble finding any in the Pittsburgh area. I have my one Solenopsis molesta queen, but that's all.

She's been doing fine lately, still alive and moving about, but I don't even know if she's fertile. She's a relatively small species, so I don't think I'll even be able to see her eggs, if she even DOES lay them. And what if she waits until the spring to lay? So many variables…
Check under some rocks/logs to see if u can find some pre/flighted queens, u better hurry up it is coming to a close soon. :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.