Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderators: larynx, ooper01

zkublin

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:11 pm

noebl1 wrote:Looks like L. Neoniger are prepping for flights. The hills are all opened up with enlarged holes, and can see alates moving around the entrances.
Nice! Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye out!

noebl1

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Just checked and still grouping along entrances and not flown yet. Plus dragonflies are flying around, and no bodies found yet, so pretty safe to say still haven't flown ;) Did find something else I'll need an ID on. She's pretty small, if she's a ponera, may let her go.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

Batspiderfish

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:36 pm

Fully-claustral Lasius usually don't start flying until 5:00 or 6:00 PM, in my experience.
Links:
Rules & Requirements for Identification:
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=292

How to take pictures for identification:
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2167

noebl1

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:49 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Fully-claustral Lasius usually don't start flying until 5:00 or 6:00 PM, in my experience.
Thanks! I'll be a bit more patient. Home sick with a crappy cold so can't really hunt much, but will go out later if up for it. This small queen I got (hard to keep her still for pics, so giving up) looks like Ponera pennsylvanica queen from pics (spot on, especially with the antenna and gaster shapes.) Pretty certain this is not a beginner species, so will probably let her go. If she chills out later tonight, will try to post a photo for actual id before I free her.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

noebl1

Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:56 pm

They are just starting to fly right now from what I saw (looks like L. Neoniger and a couple other varieties).

@batspiderfish I found what looked like a L. Neoniger de-alate (the last pic) walking away from one of the colonies in the last pic. A bit odd isn't it or do multi-queen colonies sometimes eject a queen?

Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

Batspiderfish

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:08 pm

Does that queen have larvae? I imagine that it's possible for a queen that has mated to find her way back to the nest, but for this species I don't think she is able to stay there, so the workers probably drove her out.
Links:
Rules & Requirements for Identification:
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=292

How to take pictures for identification:
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2167

noebl1

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Does that queen have larvae? I imagine that it's possible for a queen that has mated to find her way back to the nest, but for this species I don't think she is able to stay there, so the workers probably drove her out.
No larvae, just sand in the pic that was picked up with her when I was getting her. The L. Neoniger are still gearing up from what I can tell. Each time i go out there's more and more staged at the entrances. The ones in the 2nd pic already all flew off (didn't look like L. Neoniger as smaller and more black in color).

EDIT: The dealate I found is vigorously trying to dig in the test tube and moving the pieces of sand around, going to put her in a test tube with water/cotton and see if she quiets down.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

noebl1

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:32 pm

Lasius of some sort flying right now. Male alates everywhere on the deck and surrounding areas.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

noebl1

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:37 pm

Ponera flying too. Just caught my first female Lasius alate as well, will post photos for I'd.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

noebl1

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:04 pm

Myrmecina, myrmica (I believe) and parasitic Lasius too (those are fast... seen at least 3 female alates.) L. Neoniger alates seem to be gathering at entrances as well. Ran out of test tubes... argh home sick today too so not much energy :(
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger