ooper's Tetramorium sp. E colony -- not Monomorium minimum (#6)

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

ooper01
Head Moderator

ooper's Tetramorium sp. E colony -- not Monomorium minimum (#6)

Wed May 04, 2016 11:32 am

I thought I would journal one of my Monomorium minimum colonies. These ants are quite small (2mm in length), so I designed a Hybrid nest just for them with narrow and shallow passages and chambers. The shallowness of the passages and chambers allow for better viewing of these smaller ants as it puts them right up next to the viewing glass.

This colony is about 1 year old with one queen and at last count (2 weeks ago) had a little over 200 workers. I suspect the colony size is approaching 300 now as the colony has a huge number of brood. I have been feeding them crushed dry cat food, crickets, and cookie crumbs. Due to their small size, they have been a little problematic to keep contained. I think I have plugged all the holes now though.

I kept them in a test tube until they had 50 workers or so and a large brood then connected them to the new Hybrid nest. The outworld (damaged) is from an Omni Nest Large and has worked out perfectly for them. A few pictures for your viewing pleasure.

~ ooper

Forum Moderator

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: ooper's Monomorium minimum colony (#6)

Wed May 04, 2016 6:47 pm

Looks like they are doing really well! Thanks for sharing the info and pics!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

JediPeaceFrog

Wed May 04, 2016 10:33 pm

Thank you for sharing pics. I'm already learning a lot in this forum...getting some great ideas for my formicarium set-ups to come. Now if I can just get the ball rolling by finding a queen!

ooper01
Head Moderator

Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:01 pm

August 19, 2016
Video of my Monomorium minimum colony. They have expanded into a second Hybrid Nest. There must be several hundred workers now.

~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Austheboss

Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:12 pm

ooper01 wrote:August 19, 2016
Video of my Monomorium minimum colony. They have expanded into a second Hybrid Nest. There must be several hundred workers now
I don't think I have to be too experienced to say that they probably need a bigger or another attached outworld soon. There is probably 5-7 ants per square inch choked up in that outworld. :lol: Hope you have plans for that. :)
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----

ooper01
Head Moderator

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:28 pm

Austheboss wrote:
ooper01 wrote:August 19, 2016
Video of my Monomorium minimum colony. They have expanded into a second Hybrid Nest. There must be several hundred workers now
I don't think I have to be too experienced to say that they probably need a bigger or another attached outworld soon. There is probably 5-7 ants per square inch choked up in that outworld. :lol: Hope you have plans for that. :)
Very observant you are! Yes, I have already upgraded the outworld and have also provided some additional nesting space. They are loving it! :) I will include some pictures with my next update.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Austheboss

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks! You have a great colony! I love the pictures, it's always cool to see the inside of the ant colonies (even my mini colonies I have, my dad is still amazed I got queens that can lay eggs and get workers!). :D
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----

Canadiananter

Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:25 pm

U sure that's not tetramorium

ooper01
Head Moderator

Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:39 pm

Canadiananter wrote:U sure that's not tetramorium
Not 100% sure. Why do you ask? In the research I did, I could not find any pics of Tetramorium that looked like these and that were also as small as these.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: ooper's Tetramorium sp. E colony -- not Monomorium minimum (#6)

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:26 am

Discovered today, with the help and input of Canadiananter and Batspiderfish, that this colony is in fact Tetramorium sp. E rather than Monomorium minimum. Thanks guys!
~ ooper

Forum Moderator