My first attempt at a colony..

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

SpeciesK

Re: My first attempt at a colony..

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:08 am

She ate her eggs, and now she has seven workers! That is great! Isn't there someone in Michigan who is selling ants? Maybe it's you for all I know, but you could get another queen from them if you felt like it. I am new and basically doing everything wrong (but learning anyway) but my Good Ants, if they are all still in there, are surviving okay so far. It's good they know how to take care of themselves while I catch up. Mine are in dirt so I don't know what they are up to unless they walk around on the surface. It would be really great to be able to see the eggs and their development into workers and everything.

Nathant

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Martialis wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:17 am
Nathant wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:04 am
Any ant in the subfamily Formicinae should not sting. ;)

Really jealous of your imparis. Here in MA we are still getting snow.
Dolicihoderinae too.
Correct.

ablindsniper

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:33 am

I finally found my macro lense.. I'm going to post a few videos to my tablet's YouTube account. I also cought a black wolf spider in my basement so I will be shooting vids of her too. I'm not trying to get YouTube famous I'm just a guy excited to show others my growing ant colony. I'll be recording a video of the colony once a week, the spider might get more videos (olny because it is more light friendly).

youtu.be/_DsZMCDwU38

Thanks everyone for the support..

ablindsniper

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Weekly update!!
The queen is doing great and I changed the feed tube and gave them some honey. I'm going to post a video every week on Monday, on a generic YouTube account. I'll post a link to it here when the video is fully uploaded.

https://youtu.be/cbpfjFiXVC8

Thanks for your time and all the ant love..

ablindsniper

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:55 pm

Weekly update!!

The colony is doing great, I am a day late posting this. The video​update is up and ready to view. Thanks everyone....

https://youtu.be/B5Go9KLofAo

Nathant

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:09 pm

Tip: Use more light if you want better results in your video.

Looks like your colony is doing great!

mrquint74

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:24 pm

What a beauty, and we have those here in Indiana it looks like. Now i have to keep a look out for someone here with one there willing to sell or adopted out. I will go out and look on my own also on weekends.