AntsCanada Ant Channel Videos - VLOG

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Martialis

Re: AntsCanada Ant Channel Videos - VLOG

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:46 pm

AntsCanada wrote:
Durant wrote:Thx Mikey!!! Plz do one on Solenopsis!!!
We have this video. Does it help?

I think a video documenting polygny in captivity would be quite intresting, personally. :)
Keeper of

Selliing:

nightxwolf88

Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:12 am

I happen to have quite a fascination with the polygynous species too :D . I think my favorite ant to keep would be a pheidole because many are polygynous and polymorphic, not to mention I haven't found any in my part of new York yet so it makes me crave them more lol.

JacobSyndeo

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:04 pm

nightxwolf88 wrote:I happen to have quite a fascination with the polygynous species too :D .
So far, the only queen I've managed to find in my area is a Solenopsis molesta. But I'm fairly excited, as they're polygynous! So I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for more. (But I'm not holding my breath… It took weeks of searching for any alates at all just to find this one, so I'm afraid I'm at the tail end of their mating season.)

Now I wonder… How do polygynous species end up getting more queens? Do newly-mated queens just decide to join an existing colony? If I were to find another queen sometime in the future, would I be able to just add her to my colony? (Not something I'd want to just experiment with, as for all I know, the workers may attack her!)
Connoisseur of candy-colored equines, lover of magical space rocks, fan of the raccoon-bluejay duo. Professional software developer. One time, I sat at a computer and built BronyTunes.

nightxwolf88

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:32 am

JacobSyndeo wrote:
nightxwolf88 wrote:I happen to have quite a fascination with the polygynous species too :D .
So far, the only queen I've managed to find in my area is a Solenopsis molesta. But I'm fairly excited, as they're polygynous! So I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for more. (But I'm not holding my breath… It took weeks of searching for any alates at all just to find this one, so I'm afraid I'm at the tail end of their mating season.)

Now I wonder… How do polygynous species end up getting more queens? Do newly-mated queens just decide to join an existing colony? If I were to find another queen sometime in the future, would I be able to just add her to my colony? (Not something I'd want to just experiment with, as for all I know, the workers may attack her!)
It depends on the species. Like tapinoma melanocephalum do not have flights so some queens bud off together with some workers to make a new colony. They can also lay more queens for the colony to grow. In the case of solenopsis molesta they have flights as you said, so I'm pretty sure newly mated queens found a colony together. I did read in places that they will sometimes accept other new queens into existing colonies. I have tried this with my wild caught 10 queen colony but the workers quickly dispatched them and they were discarded into their graveyard.

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Greetings ant lovers,

I have been busy touring the US and will continue going around for the next few weeks, filming ant videos a long the way! This week's video explores the ant diversity of New York City.

We offered New Yorkers $100 USD if they could correctly guess how many species of ants live in the city. Check out what happened!

Ant Love Forever.

AntLove5Ever

Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:31 pm

AntsCanada wrote:Greetings ant lovers,

I have been busy touring the US and will continue going around for the next few weeks, filming ant videos a long the way! This week's video explores the ant diversity of New York City.

We offered New Yorkers $100 USD if they could correctly guess how many species of ants live in the city. Check out what happened!

Will you be in virginia? I'd love to meet you. I have a single myrmica queen and i'm expecting eggs quite soon!

idahoantgirl

Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:57 pm

The answer to the trivia question is tapinoma sessile. when squished, they smell like blue cheese.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

idahoantgirl

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:27 am

Durant wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:

The answer to the trivia question is tapinoma sessile. when squished, they smell like blue cheese.
U r a freaking spoiler!!! :evil:
He told us to answer it in the comments section. That's what I'm doing! :? ;)
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:46 pm

Fire ants fly while Black Crazy Ants double clone themselves to enable inbreeding and accept roving queens! Check out our newest video on ant reproduction that will blow your mind!

Ant Love Forever.

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:08 pm

This week, we sat down with myrmecologist Dr. Corrie Moreau from the Chicago Field Museum to ask her what it is like to have a career in myrmecology.

Ant Love Forever.