Lasius Neoniger first time journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

idahoantgirl

Re: Lasius Neoniger first time journal

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:43 pm

Hi! If you have been following my very sparse ant journal, you know that I've been battling the question of what formicaria to use. I can't afford any of Ant Canada's seemingly perfect formicaria, and all of the other cheaper formicarias I've seen on the web are just not what I'm looking for. I had decided on making a plaster nest, but soon learned that mold would be a big issue. I'm not interested in making a ytong nest, as I would need power tools and I just don't love the way it looks. Then I planned on 3d printing something resembling a hybrid nest at my library, but they wouldn't let me print something that big. After loads and loads of research, I finally think that I've decided on a very simple plastic formicaria made out of a bead organizer. I know it won't look nearly professional as I'd like, but hey! It hopefully will do the job. Here is a link to the tutorial. I plan to make a few slight changes to the nest. I want to cut off the lid and hot glue gun a sheet of glass on top for better visibility and less worries of them escaping. I also want my hydration chamber to be accessible so I can change out the hydration medium when needed. Please view this tutorial and look for holes in my plan. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slse_qq2SXU
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:52 pm

Hmm, sorry the AntsCanada product lines are too expensive for you. We tried to make the Hybrid nests as inexpensive as we possibly could, but there is some manufacturing and assembly work that just has to be done and paid for.

We do have some Hybrid nests that we have not shipped due to minor production flaws. They are still perfectly usable. If you are interested in one of them, let me know and perhaps we can work something out.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

idahoantgirl

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:17 pm

ooper01 wrote:Hmm, sorry the AntsCanada product lines are too expensive for you. We tried to make the Hybrid nests as inexpensive as we possibly could, but there is some manufacturing and assembly work that just has to be done and paid for.

We do have some Hybrid nests that we have not shipped due to minor production flaws. They are still perfectly usable. If you are interested in one of them, let me know and perhaps we can work something out.
Oh! Thanks alot for the offer, but really you have them at a very good price, I just don't want to spend money when I can make them myself. Sorry about the bad wording. I could afford one, it's just that I like to save where I can. A very big factor of my decision is the fact that I'm very crafty and I would get more pleasure out of making one than buying one.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:26 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:Oh! Thanks alot for the offer, but really you have them at a very good price, I just don't want to spend money when I can make them myself. Sorry about the bad wording. I could afford one, it's just that I like to save where I can. A very big factor of my decision is the fact that I'm very crafty and I would get more pleasure out of making one than buying one.
Ahh okay understood! Good luck with your craftiness! :)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

WillWithAnts

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:36 pm

Nice formicarium! I did something similar this spring, and I hope it works as well as yours!

idahoantgirl

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:39 pm

ooper01 wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:Oh! Thanks alot for the offer, but really you have them at a very good price, I just don't want to spend money when I can make them myself. Sorry about the bad wording. I could afford one, it's just that I like to save where I can. A very big factor of my decision is the fact that I'm very crafty and I would get more pleasure out of making one than buying one.
Ahh okay understood! Good luck with your craftiness! :)
on second thought, out of curiosity could you possibly tell me how much these imperfect hybrids cost. They may be more escape proof than a homemade one which would make my family very happy.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:45 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:on second thought, out of curiosity could you possibly tell me how much these imperfect hybrids cost. They may be more escape proof than a homemade one which would make my family very happy.
We have a Lasius Hybrid that is our pearl white color, but it has a brown base. We can sell it for $25 plus shipping. Also have our older version of Hybrid in Tetramorium and Solenpsis nest patterns. We can sell these for $25 plus shipping each as well.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

idahoantgirl

Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:32 am

WillWithAnts wrote:Nice formicarium! I did something similar this spring, and I hope it works as well as yours!
actually, this is not my tutorial. This is a tutorial I stumbled upon during my research. I haven't made one yet, but I may end up getting a reject hybrid nest for cheaper, then If my colony grows I could make one like this. Could you possibly post a picture of the formicarium you made? Now I'm curious. :P

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

idahoantgirl

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:24 pm

FIRST NANATIC!!!!! Super super super excited! SO i gave them a very small drop of honey, but I was wondering what I should do next. Should I continue to only check on them once a week or should I check every day?

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

AntsRule

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:39 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:FIRST NANATIC!!!!! Super super super excited! SO i gave them a very small drop of honey, but I was wondering what I should do next. Should I continue to only check on them once a week or should I check every day?
Congrats! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.