Lasius Neoniger first time journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

idahoantgirl

Re: Lasius Neoniger first time journal

Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:02 pm

AntsRule wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:FIRST NANATIC!!!!! Super super super excited! SO i gave them a very small drop of honey, but I was wondering what I should do next. Should I continue to only check on them once a week or should I check every day?
Congrats! :D
what should I do now?
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntsRule

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:39 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
AntsRule wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:FIRST NANATIC!!!!! Super super super excited! SO i gave them a very small drop of honey, but I was wondering what I should do next. Should I continue to only check on them once a week or should I check every day?
Congrats! :D
what should I do now?
Luckily the awesome Mickey Bustos made a video just for that :D Hope it helps here is the link :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV6O3OHENmI
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

larynx

Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:06 pm

personally, after i get my first nanatic, i give her one drop of honey until the next worker arrives. every time a new one comes i give them a drop,(all in the test tube) until i get 5-15 or so, then i let them forage for stuff in a container. i put my test tube setup in a plastic tub outworld, with a straw big enough for the ants to get through, pushed in with the cotton plug. i do this until they have at least 20-30 workers. then i start the process of getting them into a proper nest.
p.s. i look at my queens and my colonies almost every day. you can achieve this by setting them up in an area where you dont have to move them to get to them, set up a red bulb for your light, and have all other lights off. they can not see red spectrum light, so you can look all you want as long as you dont let them know you are there, with any vibrations.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

AntsRule

Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:23 pm

OHH great idea i will be using that! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

idahoantgirl

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:51 pm

larynx wrote:
personally, after i get my first nanatic, i give her one drop of honey until the next worker arrives. every time a new one comes i give them a drop,(all in the test tube) until i get 5-15 or so, then i let them forage for stuff in a container. i put my test tube setup in a plastic tub outworld, with a straw big enough for the ants to get through, pushed in with the cotton plug. i do this until they have at least 20-30 workers. then i start the process of getting them into a proper nest.
p.s. i look at my queens and my colonies almost every day. you can achieve this by setting them up in an area where you dont have to move them to get to them, set up a red bulb for your light, and have all other lights off. they can not see red spectrum light, so you can look all you want as long as you dont let them know you are there, with any vibrations.
Great Idea! I was wondering though, If you could just use a red piece of paper and hold it over a flashlight?

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:08 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:Great Idea! I was wondering though, If you could just use a red piece of paper and hold it over a flashlight?
I use transparent red "paper". It is used in photography I believe and is like paper-thin plastic. I can't think of the official name of it. I cut it to the proper dimensions and place it over the top of my Hybrid nests. :)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

idahoantgirl

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:39 pm

ooper01 wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:Great Idea! I was wondering though, If you could just use a red piece of paper and hold it over a flashlight?
I use transparent red "paper". It is used in photography I believe and is like paper-thin plastic. I can't think of the official name of it. I cut it to the proper dimensions and place it over the top of my Hybrid nests. :)
okay, thanks

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

larynx

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:52 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
ooper01 wrote:
okay, thanks
light filter film
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

idahoantgirl

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:00 pm

soooo, It has been seven days now since my first lasius neoniger nanitic appeared, and there have been no new arrivals. Is this strange? I have been giving them a drop of honey every couple days and they drink it right up. They are being kept in a warm room with little airflow.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

idahoantgirl

Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:05 pm

sorry again-- bump