New Lasius Neoniger Queen

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

PaydenB

New Lasius Neoniger Queen

Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:25 pm

Hello everyone, just yesterday I managed to capture a Lasius Neoniger Queen after noticing some alates of the same species trapped in a spider web, she has lost her wings, and has chewed out a small claustral chamber from one of the cotton balls, no eggs yet but I hope they're coming soon. This is a fairly common species around here (Western New York) And I see their mounds everywhere, but this is my first time capturing an Alate, and hopefully my first time getting one to the colony stages.

Apparently the 'Board attachment quota has been reached' Sorry but it's not letting me upload pictures, hopefully it gets fixed in the future.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: New Lasius Neoniger Queen

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:09 pm

Yes the board storage is full. This is why we have told other to use an off site picture storage like Photobucket and others to store their photos and use the IMG feature of this board to link their photos.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

PaydenB

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:27 am

Hi everyone, back with another update. Last night my Queen began slowing down, by that I mean she began acting like she was dying, she began to get a slight curl to her body, her antenna barely moved, something told me death was approaching, I needed to do something. Fast.

I went back to the place I originally found her and began hunting for more Queens, luck was on my side, I found two Queens mid hole digging, I captured them, and waited to see if any more would come by, after thrity minutes of waiting, I walked home, new Queens in tow. Apparently they're good climbers, because while showing my parents the two new additions one rushed past my finger and fell to the floor, where the dog got her in his jaws and killed her. :(

But, it seems the old Queen has taken a liking to the New Queen, the two began sniffing each other with their antenna and then some very touchy cleaning that I thought was going to escalate into full on biting, but thankfully it didn't. They began excavating a small divet in the cotton ball but no eggs as of yet, right now they're just excavating and cleaning each other. Also, for some reason Photobucket wouldn't link with my Facebook account, so here's the link to the picture of the Duo in their set up.

PaydenB

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:35 am

Also, the original Queen, when she was still active and healthy. Image

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:23 pm

Check out this video by Mikey on the AntsCanada YouTube Channel, it should help you get going with your queens! Good Luck with them!

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:

PaydenB

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:10 am

Well, last night we had a bit of rain, I'm guessing that's what Lasius Niger was waiting for, because I managed to capture five new Queens of that species, as well as two Crem. Cerasi, I don't know what I'm gonna do with them all, starting to run out of holding containers and I'm sure there'll be more emergers tomorrow.

Also, I am working on new set-ups that resemble the test tube set up but are semi-different because I don't actually own test tubes, and no one nearby sells them. Tomorrow after I get more Cotton balls I should have pics of them in their new and final setups.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:03 pm

Check at arts and crafts stores and also hobby shops. I didn't think they would have them but they did. Also any type of science stores (especially one with kids science project kits) they carry them too.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin

PaydenB

Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:05 am

Unfortuantely last night one of the Queens went belly up with her legs all curled up. The other one is still healthy however, and has been dismembering the body, I'm planning to let her have it and then remove the body to stop any mold outbreaks.

On the Brightside I caught five Lasius Niger Queens, and have them all in their set ups where a few are beginning to act like they are going to lay eggs. I'll probably end up making that a separate journal however.

PaydenB

Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:10 am

So sorry guys, but I checked today and the other Lasius Neoniger Queen had died, she was still twitching a bit but was upside down and couldn't seem to get to her feet no matter what I tried. I took her outside and to the nearest Lasius colony I could find, said a little thank you, and set her near the entrance. The ants inspected her and dragged her below ground, I hope that she nourishes that colony and all its larvae, and in some way carry's on the survival of her species. RIP

Firecatto21

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:43 am

How are they now?
Keeper of:
-Messor Barbarus x2
-Messor capitatus
-Camponotus Herculeanus
-Temnothorax
-Monomorium sp.
-Plagiolepis
-Messor barbarus unmated princess