YsTheAnt's Camponotus Modoc Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

YSTheAnt

Re: YsTheAnt's Camponotus Modoc Journal

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:35 am

Update #2
This colony seems to be slowing down, so I plan to put them into hibernation within the next two weeks. I added some sand as substrate, and they dug a chamber where they drop their larvae when I feed them (I have to move them around a bit). I fed them a piece of freeze dried mealworm, and they hollowed it out so I fed them some more, and they nibble on it every once in a while, but they are definitely eating it. I also dropped in a sugar water soaked cotton ball, which they seem to like. Here are some pictures:
And of the tunnels in the sand:
Check out my blog: bayareaants.blogspot.com
Keeper of:
Camponotus Modoc(6 workers)
Pheidole Spp (2 queens, about 10 workers)
Possibly parasitic Formica (further ID required)
Novomessor Cockerelli (10+ workers)

YSTheAnt

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:21 pm

They are now in hibernation. I plan to move them to my garage when it gets a bit cooler, but for now I have them in an air conditioned room. I will still give them food and water just in case need it, but less frequently. The substrate really helped prevent mold, as there was a piece of mealworm in there for well over a week and no mold was present. I'll update this if something interesting happens, or after hibernation.
Keeper of:

martinnate

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:19 pm

I live in Abilene Texas and my Comp queen laid about a dozen eggs in he 1st batch, about 6 of them hatched and right b4 they turned into pupa she laid more, the 6 workers came about a month and a half after the eggs where laid. 1St batch were small workers, 2nd batch has 2 large larva that tunred into Majors and about 10 that turned into normal workers. I love this colony. I have had here 19momths and she is at around 80 workers and has laid 6 different batches of eggs. Keep up the good work and keep sending pics please.

YSTheAnt

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:47 pm

martinnate wrote:
I live in Abilene Texas and my Comp queen laid about a dozen eggs in he 1st batch, about 6 of them hatched and right b4 they turned into pupa she laid more, the 6 workers came about a month and a half after the eggs where laid. 1St batch were small workers, 2nd batch has 2 large larva that tunred into Majors and about 10 that turned into normal workers. I love this colony. I have had here 19momths and she is at around 80 workers and has laid 6 different batches of eggs. Keep up the good work and keep sending pics please.
Will do! I'll post pics after hibernation or if something happens. Don't want to disturb them too much.
Keeper of:

YSTheAnt

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:55 pm

YSTheAnt wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:47 pm
martinnate wrote:
Will do! I'll post pics after hibernation or if something happens. Don't want to disturb them too much.
Also I think that the largest pupa is going to be a major, which explains why it is the largest out of the batch.
Keeper of:

YSTheAnt

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Lots has happened with this colony. First of all, I took them out of hibernation about two weeks ago. Upon closer inspection, I saw that they had eaten the largest larva, and had fed it to the smaller ones while I wasn't looking, because they had grown substantially.

Also, I moved them into one of my custom made formicariums. They moved in after a little bit of persuasion :D (I moved one of their larvae into the nest with damp q-tip then put a lamp over them and covered the formicarium, and I nudged them a little, then they moved in themselves after a couple minutes). They seem happy, and I fed them crickets three times, the first two they accepted it, but then my crickets turned black and they seemed to dislike them. The next day after I fed them the black one, I caught one in my house, then killed it and fed it to them. It was larger than the biggest worker, and yet all that's left of it is a shriveled husk. I also saw them preforming trophallaxis to the larvae and to the queen. Also, the queen's gaster has bloated up and it's at the point where I can see white in between the segments from the very top of the queen. The larvae continue to grow. I also fed them sugar water, twice. They seemed to have taken it, because it wasn't there the next day.

Here are some pictures
This is them in their formicarium :D
I tried to get a closeup...
This is what's left of the cricket that I fed them, after not even 2 days
This is a picture of the formicarium they are housed in. PM me if you want one, I'll give a couple out for free. it has hydration that can be refilled through the tube, under the mesh, and has one other opening, but I can make them however you want. The opening size is 1/2 inch, and Ill give a couple inches of tubing with it, free shipping. All I ask is that you actually use it, give me some feedback about how the ants are doing, what to improve, etc. The lid isn't removable yet, but you can easily wash it out by pouring water into it through the nest opening when there aren't ants in it.

That's all for now
Keeper of:

Jadeninja9

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:42 pm

Dude that's awesome. I'm surprised they are so active when they would still be hibernating in the wild at this time.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Jadeninja9

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:43 pm

My colony is still in hibernation. I don't know if I should be feeding them or not though.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

YSTheAnt

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Thanks!

I took mine out after they ate the larva, and put them in in early September as well, so I think it's long enough. I think you should keep yours in for about four months for best results.
Keeper of:

idahoantgirl

Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:43 pm
My colony is still in hibernation. I don't know if I should be feeding them or not though.
They generally wont accept food during hibernation.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile