YsTheAnt's Camponotus Modoc Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

YSTheAnt

Re: YsTheAnt's Camponotus Modoc Journal

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:35 am

Update #2
This colony seems to be slowing down, so I plan to put them into hibernation within the next two weeks. I added some sand as substrate, and they dug a chamber where they drop their larvae when I feed them (I have to move them around a bit). I fed them a piece of freeze dried mealworm, and they hollowed it out so I fed them some more, and they nibble on it every once in a while, but they are definitely eating it. I also dropped in a sugar water soaked cotton ball, which they seem to like. Here are some pictures:
And of the tunnels in the sand:
Check out my blog: bayareaants.blogspot.com
Keeper of:
Camponotus Modoc
Plan to keep (hopefully)
Myrmecocystus
Prenolepis imparis
Tetramorium Sp. E
Formica Moki
And anything else I might find!

YSTheAnt

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:21 pm

They are now in hibernation. I plan to move them to my garage when it gets a bit cooler, but for now I have them in an air conditioned room. I will still give them food and water just in case need it, but less frequently. The substrate really helped prevent mold, as there was a piece of mealworm in there for well over a week and no mold was present. I'll update this if something interesting happens, or after hibernation.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Modoc
Plan to keep (hopefully)
Myrmecocystus
Prenolepis imparis
Tetramorium Sp. E
Formica Moki

martinnate

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:19 pm

I live in Abilene Texas and my Comp queen laid about a dozen eggs in he 1st batch, about 6 of them hatched and right b4 they turned into pupa she laid more, the 6 workers came about a month and a half after the eggs where laid. 1St batch were small workers, 2nd batch has 2 large larva that tunred into Majors and about 10 that turned into normal workers. I love this colony. I have had here 19momths and she is at around 80 workers and has laid 6 different batches of eggs. Keep up the good work and keep sending pics please.

YSTheAnt

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:47 pm

martinnate wrote:
I live in Abilene Texas and my Comp queen laid about a dozen eggs in he 1st batch, about 6 of them hatched and right b4 they turned into pupa she laid more, the 6 workers came about a month and a half after the eggs where laid. 1St batch were small workers, 2nd batch has 2 large larva that tunred into Majors and about 10 that turned into normal workers. I love this colony. I have had here 19momths and she is at around 80 workers and has laid 6 different batches of eggs. Keep up the good work and keep sending pics please.
Will do! I'll post pics after hibernation or if something happens. Don't want to disturb them too much.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Modoc
Plan to keep (hopefully)
Myrmecocystus
Prenolepis imparis
Tetramorium Sp. E
Formica Moki

YSTheAnt

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:55 pm

YSTheAnt wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:47 pm
martinnate wrote:
Will do! I'll post pics after hibernation or if something happens. Don't want to disturb them too much.
Also I think that the largest pupa is going to be a major, which explains why it is the largest out of the batch.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Modoc
Plan to keep (hopefully)
Myrmecocystus
Prenolepis imparis
Tetramorium Sp. E
Formica Moki