Prenelopis Imparis (Winter Ants)

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

AntsOntario

Prenelopis Imparis (Winter Ants)

Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:43 am

Hi,
Perhaps you've have seen my previous journal on my C. Novaeboracensis. Since then, I have given that colony away, and I have now started another! From the title you can see this one is going to be about my brand new Prenelopis Imparis Colony.
Having a Prenelopis Imparis Colony has always been my dream, and now I can observe my very own! Hopefully you'll enjoy them as well.
I am currently waiting for my AntsAustralia Formicarium to arrive, so I can take proper pictures/videos. (The previous owner left me with a dirty test tube haha :o )

So here's everything you might want to know about them as of now;
- They LOVE honey water
- They're a colony of about 7 - 15 workers
- They have 3 queens
- They have 5 designated repletes
- They're pretty active, even though it's summer!
- & they love moisture.

The next post should be either them moving in, or them fully moved. I can't wait to see this colony grow.
Thanks for reading.

Jadeninja9

Re: Prenelopis Imparis (Winter Ants)

Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:31 pm

I'm looking forward to reading this journal. But how big is the formicarium? You shouldn't move them into one unless it's a founding formicarium since their only at 15 workers.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

AntsOnTheCoast

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:02 am

Post some photos! This seems interesting.

AntsOntario

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:45 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:31 pm
I'm looking forward to reading this journal. But how big is the formicarium? You shouldn't move them into one unless it's a founding formicarium since their only at 15 workers.
The formicarium is quite small. It's only one chamber, so I think they'll be fine! Glad there's people interested.. photos coming soon!

Jadeninja9

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:55 pm

I see
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

AntsOntario

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Update time!
A lot has happened. The formicariums arrived, but they have 0 interest in them. I used light, and they moved into the tubing..
I give up! Stayed up all night, waiting to see if anything would happen, but no. Apparently they also had a brood chamber inside of the cotton, and there's so much! Super surprised since they should've been 'hibernating' right now.
Got some pics for you guys :D (Sorry about the quality.)

Jadeninja9

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:26 pm

Wow they look really cool
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Proverbs66

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:58 am

Didn't know prenolepis imparis were polyginous also heard that they were quite lazy it's nice to know that their active
By the way winter ants are also my dream ants along with crematagaster cerasi :D
Let us remember that even though ants are wonderful creatures, even more magnificent is their creator 😌

AntsOntario

Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:41 pm

Proverbs66 wrote:
Didn't know prenolepis imparis were polyginous also heard that they were quite lazy it's nice to know that their active
By the way winter ants are also my dream ants along with crematagaster cerasi :D
I didn't know either, but it's pretty cool that they are. It's funny because Prenelopis AND crematogaster are my dream ants. That's the reason I wanted this trade so bad haha :lol:

Proverbs66

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:28 pm

AntsOntario wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:41 pm
Proverbs66 wrote:
I didn't know either, but it's pretty cool that they are. It's funny because Prenelopis AND crematogaster are my dream ants. That's the reason I wanted this trade so bad haha :lol:
That's so awesome I hope you get crematagaster and then you'll have both your dream ants ;)
Let us remember that even though ants are wonderful creatures, even more magnificent is their creator 😌