Theantguy13's Ant journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Theantguy13

Theantguy13's Ant journal

Mon May 29, 2017 1:29 am

Well the antkeeping season has officially started for me. I have gotten past my rookie year and am starting fresh this year. I have been looking for queens everyday for around 2 weeks now, and have stumbled across a variety of ants. I have found myself 3 queens, and know that there are at least 2 other species nearby.
I have 1 5mm Solenopsis Xyloni queen, which I am happy to say, has around 5 eggs at this moment. I also have 1 8.5mm red semi-claustral Pogonomyrmex queen who is actively trying to be identified. (If you want to help check out my post on her) She has also laid eggs and is up to 3 right now. And finally I have 1 very small unidentified queen who is about 3mm, has wings still attached, and has not laid any eggs that I can see yet. (also check my posts to try and ID her, I'd appreciate it greatly! :D )
Anyway I'll be posting updates and info on these queens actively up until they die (god forbid it) or they get to a point where they don't need updates very frequently. (I will still post when they need additional nests and such but that will be very spaced out and infrequent)
On to general information,
My solenopsis queen, (from here and on referred to as queen 1), is currently housed in an AC standard test tube setup, and is doing great, with about 5 eggs.
My pogonomyrmex queen (queen 2) is housed in an AC test tube portal with 2 of the holes occupied with test tube setups, and the other 2 filled with cotton (I might tape these off to secure them even further, because I know pogonomyrmex can chew through cotton). She is being fed once bi-daily (for those of you that don't know that means once every 2 days, or every other day), this meal consists of sugar water placed on a piece of tin-foil, and 1-2 flightless fruit flies (not wingless, just flightless). She is doing great with 3 eggs already.
My third queen (I will update you guys once I know which genus, specis, etc.) is housed in an AC standard test tube setup and has no eggs, she might not be fertile, which would be disappointing, because she has her wings still. Although I still have hope!

Finally, If anybody requests pictures, just be aware that if taken in the next week or so, they can and will most likely be of medium to poor quality, as I have a cheap phone, but am getting a clip-on macro lens very soon.
Anyway, thanks guys, and I hope you enjoy hearing about my ant keeping journey!

Theantguy13

Re: Theantguy13's Ant journal

Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:10 pm

I now know that queen 2 is Pogonomyrmex Californicus, and queen 3 is Brachymyrmex Patagonicus.

I caught 4 more of queen 2, and am going to combine those 4 to make a supercolony, I'll let you guys know how that turns out.
I also caught 2 more S. Xyloni queens, and they have no eggs yet.
My original queen 2 has about 10 eggs now.
Queen 3 has no eggs still.

Theantguy13

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Just want to make an update since it has been awhile.

My Solenopsis Xyloni queens are doing great, except for one which has a moldy tube and is spreading her eggs all over the place.

I decided to keep my Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queen, just to see how it goes, she has not laid a single egg... :(

My original Pogonomyrmex Californicus queen is doing great, although when I combined the other 4, 2 died the next day, and the other two were injured, so I released them. The original queen has around 20 eggs or so now, and I expect some to mature into larvae within a few days or so, so keep an eye out for my next post. I will post pictures soon as well.

Theantguy13

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Update: June 13 2017

I caught another Pogonomyrmex Californicus queen today, I made an experimental setup with planting soil (which has region specific organic matter) and some regular dirt from my yard.
I took this photo by a window, so just ignore the background.

I watered the dirt and put the queen inside, she has not dug yet, but I will update this when she does. The other queens are doing great.

Theantguy13

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:44 am

I now have about 20 Solenopsis xyloni queens after 2 big nuptial flights.
1 queen is infertile for sure, 1 has a moldy test tube, and my first one this season has had larvae for 3 days now. The Pogonomyrmex are doing great and the one in the experimental setup dug a claustral cell about 2 times her size with 2 exits (it kinda looks like a U shape), and she dug it right next to the glass!
The brachymyrmex queen died yesterday.... She was infertile anyway.

Theantguy13

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:20 am

Just checked my original Pogonomyrmex queen and she has 3 larvae as well! Hopefully workers in a few weeks!