Cormac's Campontous Pennsulvancus diary 1

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Cormac

Cormac's Campontous Pennsulvancus diary 1

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:26 pm

Greetings!

I am creating a Video log of my Campontous Pennsulvancus Queens and hopefully future colony. They are currently in a test tube setup and it seems to be going well. I have a total of six queens laying eggs currently. Four queens are by them self in the tube. The last two are in a tube together as an experiment. The queens are from the same ant colony so my hopes are that because of their same scent they will work together. My recent observation of them shows that their eggs are spread out and disorganized in comparison to the lone queens, Also they seem to exchange food or water though trophallaxis occasionally. I will post updates when I can.

Thanks,
Cormac

[youtube]https://youtu.be/qVW4C5BY7s0[/youtube]

LINK: https://youtu.be/qVW4C5BY7s0

xTNxANTMANx

Re: Cormac's Campontous Pennsulvancus diary 1

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:58 pm

You said they are of the same colony...how can you be so sure? If you got them out of their nest b4 flying then odds are they aren't fertile. Yes they will still lay eggs but they will only be males.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Cormac

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:32 pm

They went on their nuptial flight inside of my green house which is an addition to my house after I turned on the green house heater for my plants. They flew in early march when there was still snow on the ground. My guess is I woke up a feral colony early that had taken up residence inside the wall of the greenhouse.

I did see males and female elates in the greenhouse at the time of collection. I'm thinking they inbreed, I hope.

I have other queens from the same flight who still have not removed their wings and have not laid eggs yet. So my guess is they are not fertilized.

Cormac

Tue May 02, 2017 10:15 pm

The Queens are doing very well I just checked on them today and the many eggs they had are turning into larva!

Cormac

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:59 am

New update video. The pupa have arrived! But an unknown brown mold like substance has appeared on the egg pile of two of my queens. Let me know if anyone has encountered this before.

I will post pictures soon.

https://youtu.be/ZyGPTvs4t08

Also if anyone knows how to post youtube videos that arn't url link. Please let me know.

The youtube option looks like this for me [youtube]https://youtu.be/ZyGPTvs4t08[/youtube]

Cormac

Re: Cormac's Campontous Pennsulvanicus diary 1

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:05 pm

OK so I figured out how to post videos properly! Here's the first video.

New update video. The pupa have arrived! But an unknown brown mold like substance has appeared on the egg pile of two of my queens. Let me know if anyone has encountered this before.

Here are some pictures of the queens as of 6/10/17

note the brown unknown substance.

here you can see the pupa!

Cormac

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:43 am

I have some concerning news. The pupa that was almost ready to become my first nanitic was dismembered by the queen. I also saw some of the other queens. The pupa look almost if not already a nanitic its color was turning black and exo was looked as if it was getting hard. I have observed exhibit similar behavior with some of there brood.

My only idea for why this is happening is the queen is too hot in the green house which can get to 100 Degrees in the day time. The queens test tubes are in a shoe box to keep them in the dark. I'm going to move the box to the garage where it does not get so hot and see how they do.

xTNxANTMANx

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Oh yeah that's definitely way too hot. And being in those test tubes for them doesn't make it any better with that kind of heat. I keep mine inside in an unairconditioned room at around 75 to 80 degrees. If the temperature gets above 82 83 degrees I'll let some cool air in. But yes definitely move them from that kind of heat. When they're nesting and the wild they can move in order to find the temperature they like but being in them test tubes they can't. I too lost a couple larva with my first Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen because she got too hot in a box I had her in so I changed the set up and they have been doing great ever since. Hopefully everything will get back to normal for you
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Cormac

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:21 pm

The temperature in the garage doesn't get as hot it stays around 80 degrees in the day so I hope they start getting works soon.

But I have interesting new. I was gathering some fire wood and noticed ants in one of the logs. There was a camponotus queen and about 15-20 works I was able to capture and a ton of brood. They have an interesting redish brown tint to them. I going to get a picture of them soon so I can have help with the ID.