Camponotus subbarbatus Colony(s)

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

xTNxANTMANx

Re: Camponotus subbarbatus Colony(s)

Thu May 25, 2017 5:00 pm

I can't seem to figure out how to embed my video so you will just have to click the link. I'll try to figure it out soon as I can.
https://youtu.be/NJWOAEdS4x0
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Cormac

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:18 pm

I just figured out how to embed videos myself. You have to hit the youtube button like this [youtube][/youtube] then in the middle of the brackets put only the numbers and letters on the end of your youtube the link. yours would be NJWOAEdS4x0.
Then it will look like this

xTNxANTMANx

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:37 pm

Yea but using my phone is saying that plugin isn't supported. Which sucks because it says same thing on my ps4 and i dont have a pc yet XD. But i will try and see what i can do to fix it on my phone. There's another Journal I keep up with on here and luckily I was able to find their new video on YouTube because of this problem. I also keep up with your Journal :-) and your Camponotus are looking great. My Camponotus pennsylvanicus Queens finally have their first workers. One has six workers and the other has two. But man do they really grow slow. But I love Camponotus so it's all good there :-)
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Cormac

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Yeah I'm jealous. My queens don't have any workers yet. I hope the pupa I took a picture of becomes a worker soon. Than I hope the slow pace starts to get fast.

xTNxANTMANx

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:02 pm

From everything that I have read with our species they are rather slow growing until around the beginning of the second year. But it's cool because all I have is time :-)
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

AntOblivion

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:36 pm

Measurements for the workers?

xTNxANTMANx

Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:55 pm

AntOblivion wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:36 pm
Measurements for the workers?
They are like...4-6mm right now. I see you have a queen :D...this is such a beautiful species. My colony is prolly up to 30 workers now but still to small for a hybrid nest. I really like this species. I wish you the best of luck with her!
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:51 pm

When I get home tonight I'm going to take some updated pictures of my colonies and of my new majors in this colony :-). I recently purchased an Atom C founding formicarium from TarHeelAnts and due to his attitude and unupdated website I pretty much purchased something that I did not pay for. It was not made how the description described it so I was going to use it for my Camponotus castaneus queen, but seeing as it's not what I wanted I decided to put this colony in it being as they are at 30 plus workers and growing :D. It took them a bit to decide to move to it but I'm thinking they enjoy it more than the test tube. They are a medium sized ant and the size of this formicarium is perfect for them at this stage in their growth. They will have no problem fitting in it for a good while. They take up maybe a third of the space inside. Also, I'm going to be making a new journal for all my colonies/ants. I have numerous and keeping a journal for each is time consuming so this will be the last entry for this one. I'll post the new journal title for all who follow this one.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

AntOblivion

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:16 pm

About how long would you say it took the cocoons to hatch?

xTNxANTMANx

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 pm

For which ones? The workers in general took over a month from egg to worker. Now that there is more workers it seems like it's going pretty quick but I also know it's because there's eggs larvae and pupae and all different stages now. And she's constantly laying more. I'm hoping to have 50 or more workers before hibernation hits. The major though I have no idea. I didn't think she would have any Majors this quick.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2