Journaling my first queens (camponotus pennsylvanicus)

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

AntsSA

Re: Journaling my first queens (camponotus pennsylvanicus)

Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:15 am

Dude I'm so jealous of your queens ,I see you also have attached queens, to use are my dream ants.
Keeping.
lepisiota capensis colony
Cardiocondyla sp.
Founding
Messor. Sp. X 4
Myrmicine Sp. X 2
atopomyrmex Sp. X 2
Ants SA
:lol: :lol:
YouTube :
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC404jNiUH33dFnxqSZajoPg

Hikari

Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:27 am

Accidentally posted the post for my thread in your thread by accident, lol. I caught it quick enough though. One should be weary of multiple tabs. :P

On that note, what I WAS planing on posting here was that I'll get my own taste of workshop tinkering here soon. :lol: Bought the stuff I need to get a DIY outworld started. Actually kind of looking forward to it. Seems like a lot of fun, provided I don't crack the acrylic on this thing trying to drill though it. Gonna convert an old small half-gallon betta "tank" (that I promptly ditched for a proper tank once I learned what a betta actually needs) into an outworld.

AntzNaTube

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:09 am

Fed the girls a cricket last night. The workers are no longer skidding lol. It was quite brutal. Wish I would have taken video... but I was far to enthralled in the destruction.

I know the picture sucks, but there was a lot going on, and I didn't want to stress them with flash while they were eating.

AntzNaTube

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am

Sad update. Queen 1 and her workers mysteriously died. One night they were all fine, and the next morning they were all expired. I have no idea why this happened. No obvious signs of anything wrong. The only thing I can think of is maybe something was wrong with the cricket I had fed them recently. Lesson learned I suppose.

Her brood was split evenly between queen 2 and 3 and I will continue to update on their progress.

Cormac

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:40 pm

That is sad :( I hope the brood helps the other queens.

Hikari

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:25 pm

Sad to hear about your queen. I can relate. I've lost a Lasius queen, and I have a Formica colony on the brink of full collapse. Sometimes these things just happen, and it's hard to say why. I hope the brood does well in the care of the other queens.

xTNxANTMANx

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:39 pm

I too recently had a Camponotus subbarbatus Queen pass on me about a week ago. Everything was okay and she even had for workers and some brood and I attach them to a new Mini test tube portal I made and the queen decided to come out into it and would not go back to her workers or brood. Next thing I know she couldn't even stand up and passed away on me. And I know nothing was wrong with the test tube portal because my Tapinoma sessile colony had been using it. I did manage to give the brood to my other colony of Camponotus subbarbatus. I know the workers wouldn't have made it anyway so I was forced to let them go outside instead of watching them die myself. On the upside though my Camponotus subbarbatus colony got its first two majors about 3 days ago. Was really happy to see that.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2