Lasius Flavus - A Journey to the Tropics Habitat

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

SweetDirtyTooth

Lasius Flavus - A Journey to the Tropics Habitat

Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:13 am

Hello and Welcome ACAF Members and visitors!! :D

This Journal is about my Lasius Flavus who I made a tropical set up in a glass tank for them (Tropical Plants).
They have about 80 workers with brood currently in test tubes in a plastic container.

I bought the fish tank, and some sheets of acrylic, I cut them to size to fit in the left side for the water lake and another to the right side for the plants so the roots don't spread across the tank where the ants live. I forgot to get pictures of it because I rushed it and so there was a mess with the silicone. Once made and left dry I added small stones everywhere placed the plants and put some sand on them then moss on top. I added bigger rocks under the small ones in the water lake then put water, Lucky me! It was sealed properly ant water stays in. Where Ant live I added small stones underneath, I heard its better in case of water accumulating. And then I added a special ant substrate I bought online( An earthy type of substrate, this product comprises of washed and heat treated cocopeat blended with coco husk shell charcoal to help keep the substrate well drained and fresh.(EC: <0.5 mS/cm. pH range 5.8-6.5). It contains no nutrients or chemicals.) then around the tank but not in front I added more moss, I hope it stays like that and doesn't spread across the tank or make huge roots? I want to put a lid but It didn't come with it so I'm going to have to make one and allow for a cable to go through it (this cable will be the one of the water filter I will buy) anyone has ever made custom glass tank lids I don't know where to start. I also want to add lighting to the lid.
Here are some pics, I will update you with the colony and post pics of them later on.

Ants4fun

Re: Lasius Flavus - A Journey to the Tropics Habitat

Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:47 am

Looking good!

Carl75

Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:07 pm

That's nice. I will have a nest/out world like that one day. I may have the nest all around the edge or possible three sides as the back edge would likely be against the wall.

SweetDirtyTooth

Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Once the colony grows they will be forced to dig near the glass I think

SweetDirtyTooth

Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:25 pm

NikolaMladenovic wrote: How do you feed them? Because i know that they hunt underground and i have found a queen and I'm also going to make a tropical nest (kinda inspired by u :lol: )
Great I hope you make something nice too I would like to see it.

And If you can see in the pictures I put 2 dishes, one for food and one for liquid, also I might add live insects when the colony grows a bit more maybe and also the tank has springtails that eat mold and that to keep tank clean from mold etc. and the ant can also can eat them if they feel like it.

SweetDirtyTooth

Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:37 pm

UPDATE: Moving the ants inside the tank.

Hoping they come back if some go out of the tank :lol:

SweetDirtyTooth

Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:18 am

No, that's why I need to make a lid. I'm going to put this on display in the living room, and using barriers such as fluon or Vaseline looks really bad.

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:39 am

What a really cool journal. Thanks for sharing this ongoing operation with us. :)
Ant Love Forever.

SweetDirtyTooth

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks.

So far they are exploring the tank out, and started digging everywhere.

Anyone know how many times should I hydrate the tank by spraying water?

Benbo1

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:10 pm

I like your setup and it's looking healthy must be a handful to keep plants alive