Cale's Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Cale3459

Re: Cale's Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:53 pm

My fat one did go pupae about 7 days ago. Right now my colony has dipped to 11 workers due to some die off, but I have 7 pupae, one larva that I'm guessing is going to change soon, and a large clutch of eggs. I keep the nest at 86 degrees F during the day and letting it drop to about 70 at night for the air temp but I also have a heating cable running through the nest so they can get closer or farther from heat if they choose. They've been one chamber away from the cable ever since the queen laid eggs. I'm guessing it's just a bit too warm right up next to it but having the one chamber as a buffer is perfect for them.

Cale3459

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:11 pm

Decided to add some red film to my nest today so they are no longer startled when I take the cover off. I have read different studies where one study says they see red as black and others say they can see through it. In this case it appears as though they are at least less startled having the film on. Without it they panic and start racing around the chambers but with it they seem really laid back and just continue moving around as though I haven't removed the cover at all.

Cale3459

Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:21 pm

Set up one of my IP cameras to view my foraging area anytime I want.

Cale3459

Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:19 pm

I love being able to check my colony from my bed haha. Caught these two ladies out foraging tonight. They had pulled one of the crickets I had put down the tunnel into the nest before I checked in but caught these two coming back for some byformica ant nectar. I love being able to catch them getting midnight snacks without disturbing them by turning a light on.

martinnate

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:40 pm

Can u tell me if the byformica ant nectar is in the tower thing and if so how is that made. I want one

Cale3459

Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:33 pm

martinnate wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:40 pm
Can u tell me if the byformica ant nectar is in the tower thing and if so how is that made. I want one
You will end up with a tray like this. Bottle screw into the base that I have pictured and the nectar comes out the holes. The smaller ones in the bottom right are for smaller colonies that don't eat the nectar as quickly. Trays in the top right are for setting them on in your outworld. I use a tray with 1 feeder and then put any solid food on the other side of the tray for easy cleanup.

Cale3459

Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:44 pm

Tonight when I checked in on my colony they had separated the eggs and pupae into different chambers which I thought was pretty cool. If my math is right I've got a week to a week and a half before I hopefully will be seeing some new ants emerging.

SpeciesK

Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:19 am

All that is BEAUTIFUL! And you took the pics with an iPhone? Amazing...
Were you saying the AntsCanada outworld is too small, or is too large? I don't have any products, so I don't recognize anything.
Those are the kind of ants I think would be great to have, huge black carpenter ants (or red ones). Yours look like little puppies, almost. ;)

Cale3459

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:10 am

For the current size of my colony I feel it's too large (more unnecessary due to colony numbers). I have a small plastic cricket carrier that I modified (which is in earlier photos) that I feel is perfect sized for current numbers. One the colony grows more the AntsCanada outworld will be perfect. I love the outworld and it's craftsmanship and I can't wait to include it in my setup, but it's like my hybrid nests. I have three small hybrid nests and one large and I would like to buy a vertical Omni nest at some point and now they are realizing new versions of the hybrids (RIP my ******). I'm currently only using one of the hybrid nests with the intention of adding nests as the colony expands. I want to attempt to brood boost when it warms up and I begin seeing wild colonies. My colony was over 50 strong but due to the stress of being uprooted from my driveway when we were redoing it may have contributed to their deaths. I'm just glad the queen survived and has been laying eggs. I should have an update soon as I can see one of my new ants through the skin of the pupa. It's getting close.

idahoantgirl

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:30 am

That live view thing is amazing! Can you do that with an iphone?
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile