Cale's Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Cale3459

Re: Cale's Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:00 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:30 am
That live view thing is amazing! Can you do that with an iphone?
Yeah, I check it on my iPhone when I'm in bed and they are most active. I have a pair of Amcrest 720p HD IPM-721S IP cameras I picked up cheap off eBay. One I put in my living room to watch my dogs when I'm out of the house and the other is on my ant set up. Amcrest view is the app that's used and you can find it in the App Store.

Cale3459

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:26 pm

Today was the day! First new worker came out of her cocoon. She's so tiny! Haha shouldn't be too much longer before the other 7 pupae follow in her wake.

Cale3459

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:37 pm

Some video today. Gave my colony a cricket which I always prepare by taking the head and the two hind legs off of. The cricket is still "alive" which is how my colony prefers it. When I prepare them this way they immediately come out to get it and bring it back to the nest but if I completely kill it (not moving) they don't want anything to do with it.

xTNxANTMANx

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:18 am

I'm so jealous lol. Camponotus is what I really want. Hope I get lucky in the months to come and find a few Queens :). Love the pics btw.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

martinnate

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:40 pm

I have a camponotus colony of about 30 workers. I have a hard time getting them to eat my freshly killed crickets, I guess I will try ur way, cut the head and back legs and see how they do. They have been eating tirmites when I can. What other food items should Intry? Here in Abilene Tx I have access to crickets, meal worm

martinnate

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:43 pm

And super worms. A petsmart employee told me there is a guy in Abilene that raises roaches but IDK who that is. I need to post pics so I can get a full ID :-) thank you for any help

Cale3459

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:12 pm

martinnate wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:40 pm
I have a camponotus colony of about 30 workers. I have a hard time getting them to eat my freshly killed crickets, I guess I will try ur way, cut the head and back legs and see how they do. They have been eating tirmites when I can. What other food items should Intry? Here in Abilene Tx I have access to crickets, meal worm
I'm feeding byformica ant nectar, crickets, sugar water in a test tube, and fresh water in a test tube. Mine weren't interested in apples but it could have been that they were Granny Smith, I'm going to try red delicious next and bananas.

martinnate

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:31 pm

Ok I will try some fruits. I know they like honey. I can feed them honey from a toothpick its really cool lol I also tried organic maple syrup and they love it lol

Cale3459

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Got a small Hybrid nest from Ooper that needed some work to make it useable. I had to file an entrance down to get it to fit due to misprint. The old nest had either black mold or very VERY dark algae growing in it so I had to get the colony to move so I could clean it. I opened the original nest to light to motivate them to move and they decided they liked living in the tubing more than they liked living in the new nest. They were like this for several days before the colony finally moved into the nest and only the queen refused. Finally got her to move into the nest and I blocked the tubing for a day or two so she couldn't move back into the tube. I reconnected the outworld after she got comfortable in the new nest and we are good to go again. Also I am up to 14 workers now.

Cale3459

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:39 pm

I've got a nice bunch of eggs right now and one teeny larva right below the pupa that is just about ready to emerge into a fully grown worker.