Cale's Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

SpeciesK

Re: Cale's Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:44 am

I really am awestruck... if I was there I am sure I would have my mouth hanging open, stunned motionless... :o

Cale3459

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Current setup is an original hybrid nest with an outworld I built out of a small cricket carrier. I have a small aquarium light to light up the whole area and a small reptile light hanging over the colony keeping it right about 85 degrees during the day. Both lights are on a timer for 12 hours. I have an 11 foot heating cable running through three stacked test tube holders (currently empty) on the far right and then run into the nest. Feeder crickets are in the green carrier on top. Also pictured is a small clear display ant that I had as a kid from a book club order in school which shows the inner parts of an ant. Second shelf down has an AntsCanada outworld not currently in use, original large Camponotus nest, 2 small Camponotus V2 nests, three original test tube portals and a V2 portal, byformica feeder kit, and some connectors in a bag, third shelf down (not pictured) has cotton balls and tubing. Finally I have a mini fridge right next to it for different food items.

SpeciesK

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:50 pm

They are living like royalty.
On your outworld, what do you use to prevent them climbing out? It looks like it's either just a piece of plastic with a hole in the middle, or maybe it's covered in vaseline or powder.

Cale3459

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:53 pm

SpeciesK wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:50 pm
They are living like royalty.
On your outworld, what do you use to prevent them climbing out? It looks like it's either just a piece of plastic with a hole in the middle, or maybe it's covered in vaseline or powder.
I use fluon

xTNxANTMANx

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:23 pm

This species is at the top of my "Gotta-have" list :). I use flu on also and love it. My Aphaenogaster fulva colony can't get over it. My out world I made doesn't require a lid because so. Beautiful colony btw...
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Cale3459

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:08 am

I read somewhere that Camponotus pennsylvanicus can grow to be 15,000 strong. I want that so badly.

xTNxANTMANx

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

I bet :). With their size, to sit and watch a colony even a 1/4 that size would be awesome. I have seen plenty of workers around my house of that species so I an hoping I'll score soon lol.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Cale3459

Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:05 pm

Ooper hooked me up with some miscellaneous scratch and dent items he had lying around when I ordered a slightly defective nest from him. He sent a couple test tube portals that didn't have lids and I got a little creative with them. Siliconed them together and took my Dremel to one side to put a screen on it. I'm affectionately referring to it as the Interstate, for when you have a lot of tubes you need to connect together :lol:

xTNxANTMANx

Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:05 pm

Cale3459 wrote:
Ooper hooked me up with some miscellaneous scratch and dent items he had lying around when I ordered a slightly defective nest from him. He sent a couple test tube portals that didn't have lids and I got a little creative with them. Siliconed them together and took my Dremel to one side to put a screen on it. I'm affectionately referring to it as the Interstate, for when you have a lot of tubes you need to connect together :lol:
One thing I cannot figure out is where to get good screen. Could you tell me where you possibly got your screen? Cuz it looks perfect for what we do :-)
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Cale3459

Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:10 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:05 pm
Cale3459 wrote:
One thing I cannot figure out is where to get good screen. Could you tell me where you possibly got your screen? Cuz it looks perfect for what we do :-)
Actually I got it from Ooper with my nest I ordered. I had a little left over from cutting it to fit. I'm sure it is a commercially produced item. Maybe he can shed some light on that question.