Update on my Solenopsis Invicta Soil Nest

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Update on my Solenopsis Invicta Soil Nest

Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:31 pm

Ok well it's been awhile since I posted any videos (been so very busy at work) but I thought I would do an update on my Solenopsis Invicta soil nest. I feed them today and I decided to do a short video.

A little history: Back in April of 2015 I moved my fire ants into a handmade soil nest https://youtu.be/ZTTHmJbBFbQ and about 2 months later one day I saw a dead queen that they had taken to the trash pile, well my heart sunk a little thnking that the colony that had grown so (including a nuptial non-flight, you can see it in my videos) had lost their queen and was going to die out. Not a happy day for me by any means. Well I decided to take one of the queens I had caught and try and introduce her to the colony in an attempt to save it, they found her and convinced her to move into the nest (never saw her again). From there it was a sit back and see what happens time for me. Well a few months ago I went and fed them a large cockroach and was surprised to see how many sisters there were! A few days later during a hot day (was like 85* outside and probable 90* inside, I forgot to turn on the A/C) I looked in one of the entry tubes to the nest and saw to my surprise a very large amount of eggs and pupa! YES!!!!!! The transplanted queen was accepted and was part of the colony! I was so happy!!!

Well since then the colony has grown and I've been keeping it at bay as far as size (didn't want it to explode like Mikey's Fire Nation had) by controlling the temperature in the room.

Ok well that's enough babbling from me! Here's the little video I shot this afternoon when I got home.

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Update on my Solenopsis Invicta Soil Nest

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Another quick video update:

If you go for a real soil nest there is always the chance they will not allow you to see into the nest, and these girls want their privacy! With that being said you never truly know how many there are in their nest and you for sure never see the queen....... well until you feed them that is! I fed them some superworms and the colony reacted as any would, they swarmed the food and gave me a small glimpse of just how many there might be!

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:

SpeciesK

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:17 pm

I don't have experience yet. Do ants eat all the parts of the crickets so nothing is left but powder, or do they eat the insides and leave the hard cuticle behind so it looks like cricket skins left behind?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:25 pm

They will eat all the soft innards out of every piece of the cricket. I have seen them toting the head of the cricket into the nest at times. All that is usually left is the exoskeleton that I end up cleaning out of the outworld.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:08 pm

Another feeding time with my Solenopsis colony. Gave them some crickets to attack and eat. They had all 6 crickets subdued in less than 5 minutes and started in on eating them. The colony is really starting to take off in size, think I need to get serious about building them additional living space. I also did a short time lapse of them eating and dragging the crickets around. Enjoy.

BTW I have to come up with a name for the colony. Any thoughts?

Time Lapse

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin

SpeciesK

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:52 am

Matches make fire. The ants are in a box. There are twenty thousand. So the name: Matchbox Twenty Thousand :!: :D
I kinda thought they would tear the crickets apart and carry the parts around like trophies while chanting Orc songs and vandalizing