MichiganAnts aka W1Z25's camponotus pennsylvanicus/noveboracensis Journal *Updated 1/7/17*

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

MichiganAnts

MichiganAnts aka W1Z25's camponotus pennsylvanicus/noveboracensis Journal *Updated 1/7/17*

Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Welcome to the new journal of all my lovely ladies. For starters I'm going to list off the queens and how many eggs/workers they have and the nickname ill be referring them by.

Queen #1

Species: camponotus pennsylvanicus

Location: Found in a log next to my swamp behind my house on 10/11/2016

Nickname: Blackwood

Nanitics: 1

Eggs: 3

Queen #2

Species: camponotus noveboracensis

Location: Found in a log next to my swamp behind my house on 10/12/2016

Nickname: Omni Nove

Workers: 2

Nanitics: 14

Eggs: ~100

Larvae: ~10

Queen #3

Nickname: Starks

Nanitics: 10

Eggs: ~30

Queen #4

Location: Found in a log next to my swamp behind my house on 10/5/2016

Nickname: Little ones

Nanitics: 1

Eggs: ~30

I woke up my girls on 1/1/17 2 weeks short of 3 months. I admit i shouldn't of but its my first year ant keeping. And after spending money on heating cable, nests, super worms, ect, i wanted to start putting ants into what i had bought. At first all was the same in all the colonies, they has barricaded the tunnel entrance and thats about it. On 1/5/17 A buddy of mine gave me one of his Campo Nove colonies, originally found in the northern part of my state. The road was harsh to them and the chill of winter took some workers. 2 workers and ~5-10 eggs died during the travel.

Once i got the Starks settle in with all the rest of my colonies, the waiting began. But not all was as it seemed. after 24 hours i saw 5 more dead workers in the Starks test tube. I started to think it was something in the test tube. I had to do something. I had to do an emergency transfer of them by moving them into the outworld of a nest and hope that whatever was causing the deaths would stop.

There was good news last night though, as the Omni Nove decided to remove the barricade of the nest! I was so happy! I noticed they kept 1-2 workers in the outworld.. almost looking for something. So i decided to offer some food. I give them a little slice of apple. They checked it out and seemed to of tasted it, but didnt really seem to care. I tried giving a piece to all of the colonies, since they all sent out 1 worker for sugar water every couple hours. None seemed to care. But i kept looking at the Omni Nove, they wanted something.. and i decided now is the time. I took the smallest super worm and cut it into 1/4s. I give 1/4 to each colony..... and waited. The Omni Nove jumped at the food ASAP, tearing into the lovely bug guts. I saw up to 5 workers going at it with the guts. It had seemed at least they are fully awake now.

Then I noticed movement in other outworlds. I saw the Blackwoods send out 2 scouts to the food, and then they drug it into the nest. But the Little ones and the Starks didnt eat. Im not surprised by the Little ones, since she only has 1 nanitic. But the Starks seemed to not care either. I guess they still are not ready to eat.

on 1/7/17 I removed the apple slices and also noticed that all but the Little ones have ate at least some of the worm, so i gave each one another bit of worm. I more than likely wont feed them again for a couple days. Ill be adding pics in a bit of each colony. All my colonies have access to wood chips and some fine cotton to edit there home into whatever they want. I do need to clean the outworlds though, the EVOO i use as a barrier has dripped a little and makes it hard to take pic and vids. In other news today i noticed that the Omni Nove colony has larvae now!! and a couple seem much bigger than the rest, perhaps majors? ;) or just larvae more along? Im thinking majors due to all the eggs are from the same time.

pics will be placed here once i take and upload them.

MichiganAnts

Re: MichiganAnts aka W1Z25's camponotus pennsylvanicus/noveboracensis Journal *Updated 1/7/17*

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:23 pm

Update 1/13/17

General: all colonies are taking to cut up superworms nicely. i also give them a test tube of pure water and a feeder of sugar/honey water mix. All colonies have brood growing at different paces.

Omni Nove: Has about 30 larvae and about 15 cocoons! The queen also laid a batch of about 30 eggs today. This colony is going to explode in about a month or 2.

Blackwoods: Has about 2-5 larvae, but mostly eats when sleeping.

Starks: Has about 5-10 larvae now. but mostly eats when im sleeping.

Little ones: She has 1-2 larvae now. I see her nanitics in the outworld once in a while. She also got a brand new outworld today, replaceing the home made one they were using.

(no pics of the other nests due to not much is really going on. they are waiting for this year's batch of workers and only sending out 1-2 to eat/drink.)

http://imgur.com/a/V5joC

MichiganAnts

Re: MichiganAnts aka W1Z25's camponotus pennsylvanicus/noveboracensis Journal *Updated 1/7/17*

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:45 am

for anyone wondering. i post almost daily pics and do live streams showing off my ants at http://www.Facebook.com/MichiganAnts

SpeciesK

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:32 am

Oh my gosh, those are big, beautiful ants!
I WANT THEM!!!
[*points over your shoulder and widens eyes*]
Oh no! What is THAT!?
[*while you are distracted I grab a colony and run the opposite direction while giggling hysterically*]

MichiganAnts

Re: MichiganAnts aka W1Z25's camponotus pennsylvanicus/noveboracensis Journal *Updated 2/4/17*

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:18 pm

2/4/17

Hello everyone!!

First let me start by saying for almost daily updates on my colonies (including random live streams of the ants in action) be sure to like http://www.Facebook.com/MichiganAnts

Omni Nove: Tons of progress has happened with these girls. They are by far my all stars. The colony is up to ~26 workers now (up from 16) with 3 more about to eclose. No deaths either.

STARKS: These girls are having some trouble. None of the eggs are progressing. Also no larvae or pupae. However she does have ~14 workers and as you can see in the pics she has 3 new eggs. I am starting to think they are still in hibernation, but i am unsure. No deaths.

Little Ones: Great news! These girls have the 2nd worker finally. I am curious as to how big this colony will grow this year.

Blacks: These girls are by far having the worse luck. 2 workers have died (most likely due to old age). The colony is down to 3 workers. However there is some good news The colony has several larvae and pupae. So I expect the colony to grow up soon.

Camponotus nearcticus: I found these girls on 1/22/17. I had to do alot of research to figure out this species. The colony is 3 majors, ~20 workers, lots of brood, and 1 queen. They are so tiny! The queen is the size of a Campo Penn. nanitic. Im guessing that this colony used to be bigger but was killed off. They are the most awake and aggressive colony i own. The dead worm you can see in the pic they found and killed it late last night.

http://imgur.com/a/Pmjax