Tapinoma sessile Journal!

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Onyxiguana

Tapinoma sessile Journal!

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:55 am

This will be a journal for my first colony that I hope will be a success. I'll post pictures later, this first entry will be just text right now. About a month and a half ago, I was luring bugs to an area to catch some for some spiders I own (Don't worry, I don't feed my colonies to other animals.) and I noticed a large movement of worker ants. As I went to observe them I noticed a few differently shaped ants among the workers. I capture two of them and a few workers, leaving three or so of the the odd shaped ants behind, and got them identified as queens! I've been trying to raise a colony from them, but since winter has come they might not even start until next spring. I so far managed to keep on of the two queens alive. She scared me recently because she dug into the cotton in her tube, making a really small clausteral chamber in the cotton :shock:. She sticks around in there now and sometimes comes out every once in a while. I hope to update this in a week or two with pictures.
Current Queens:
(2) Tetramorium Imimgrans

Reevak

Re: Tapinoma sessile Journal!

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:49 pm

Can't wait to see. Tapinoma sessile is a species I don't see people keep often, so this will be pretty interesting to watch as it updates.

Nathant

Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:29 am

Onyxiguana wrote:This will be a journal for my first colony that I hope will be a success. I'll post pictures later, this first entry will be just text right now. About a month and a half ago, I was luring bugs to an area to catch some for some spiders I own (Don't worry, I don't feed my colonies to other animals.) and I noticed a large movement of worker ants. As I went to observe them I noticed a few differently shaped ants among the workers. I capture two of them and a few workers, leaving three or so of the the odd shaped ants behind, and got them identified as queens! I've been trying to raise a colony from them, but since winter has come they might not even start until next spring. I so far managed to keep on of the two queens alive. She scared me recently because she dug into the cotton in her tube, making a really small clausteral chamber in the cotton :shock:. She sticks around in there now and sometimes comes out every once in a while. I hope to update this in a week or two with pictures.

Yes, I love polygynous ants! Will be sticking around for updates, good luck!
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

MichiganAnts

Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:29 am

Good luck! I caught 2 colonies of these girls aswell. Both about 100 workers but only 1 queen per colony. All colonies of this species never seem to last over6 months

Batspiderfish

Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:43 am

xW1Z25x wrote:Good luck! I caught 2 colonies of these girls aswell. Both about 100 workers but only 1 queen per colony. All colonies of this species never seem to last over6 months
My Tapinoma sessile colony lasted five years before I lost it. I'm still absolutely confident that the 'colony' you introduced your Lasius umbratus queen to is Lasius alienus.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Onyxiguana

Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:52 pm

As promised here are some pics, finally found a way to get the to properly show up! Any way, I know this set up isn't the best, but I've mentioned before that she burrowed deeper and deeper into the cotton in her test tube. I was really concerned she'd drown herself so I moved her into this container. I figure every couple of days I'll check the cotton carefully and maybe drop a bit of water on it. I placed a dab of honey nearby if she gets hungry, but I figure that she won't have any/much brood since it is pretty much the dead of winter. So far I don't see any brood, but size might be a factor in that. It also can be that she hasn't lain any eggs because hibernation. If that is the case I hope she lays in the spring, I'm willing to wait. I'm hopeful that some family member will consider getting me one of the small omninests for Christmas this year, that will help if workers come. All I can do now it just wait. I'll update if anything major happens or if I get a new set up. Happy Holidays!
Current Queens:

Martialis

Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:01 pm

Onyxiguana wrote:Image
As promised here are some pics, finally found a way to get the to properly show up! Any way, I know this set up isn't the best, but I've mentioned before that she burrowed deeper and deeper into the cotton in her test tube. I was really concerned she'd drown herself so I moved her into this container. I figure every couple of days I'll check the cotton carefully and maybe drop a bit of water on it. I placed a dab of honey nearby if she gets hungry, but I figure that she won't have any/much brood since it is pretty much the dead of winter. So far I don't see any brood, but size might be a factor in that. It also can be that she hasn't lain any eggs because hibernation. If that is the case I hope she lays in the spring, I'm willing to wait. I'm hopeful that some family member will consider getting me one of the small omninests for Christmas this year, that will help if workers come. All I can do now it just wait. I'll update if anything major happens or if I get a new set up. Happy Holidays!
Sorry.. but they aren't showing up! :lol:
Keeper of

Selliing:

Onyxiguana

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:29 am

Martialis wrote:
Onyxiguana wrote:Image
Sorry.. but they aren't showing up! :lol:
ugh, they were yesterday. Even in the preview. I'll edit it later when I have the time.
Current Queens:

Onyxiguana

Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:48 am

Hopefully this should have the picture work, I'm gonna try the others soon. Side update I got an Ant farm for Christmas, with ants. I was hoping to use it for my colony, but I figured why not test it out with the harvester ants that we already received. Only 10 survived cause the poor things were delivered on a really cold day. I honestly didn't realize my family already ordered the workers. I will say it is very fun to watch them work in the farm, makes me even more excited to raise a true colony in the spring.
Current Queens:

Onyxiguana

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:22 am

Small update, My starter kit from the Antscanda website came in a week or so ago. I decided to put her back in the small test tube since it was easier to regulate and that the plastic container was more of a temporary set up until it arrived. So far no brood I can see, but her gaster seems a little bigger. I'm just gonna leave her alone for a few weeks and see what happens.
Current Queens: