Tapinoma sessile Journal!

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Onyxiguana

Re: Tapinoma sessile Journal!

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:22 pm

Apologies, but yes the Tapinoma queen was infertile, she perished a little while after the last post. One of my pavement ant queens has since had around 8+ workers, the other I'm not sure as I put her in a more natural set-up. Regardless this journal is pretty much over. I might try catching tapinoma in the future, but probably not for some time.
Current Queens:
(2) Tetramorium Imimgrans

AntsDakota

Re: Tapinoma sessile Journal!

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:37 am

Nathant wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:29 am
Onyxiguana wrote:This will be a journal for my first colony that I hope will be a success. I'll post pictures later, this first entry will be just text right now. About a month and a half ago, I was luring bugs to an area to catch some for some spiders I own (Don't worry, I don't feed my colonies to other animals.) and I noticed a large movement of worker ants. As I went to observe them I noticed a few differently shaped ants among the workers. I capture two of them and a few workers, leaving three or so of the the odd shaped ants behind, and got them identified as queens! I've been trying to raise a colony from them, but since winter has come they might not even start until next spring. I so far managed to keep on of the two queens alive. She scared me recently because she dug into the cotton in her tube, making a really small clausteral chamber in the cotton :shock:. She sticks around in there now and sometimes comes out every once in a while. I hope to update this in a week or two with pictures.

Yes, I love polygynous ants! Will be sticking around for updates, good luck!
Me too!
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25