Lasius Claviger journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

KingKyle26

Lasius Claviger journal

Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:00 pm

10/31/16

Hi guys! So I figured I'd start this journal as a way for people to learn more about parasitic queens without actually raising them! So two weeks ago I caught 9 Lasius claviger queen and kept them together originally thinking they were a myrmica sp. After finally getting an ID I learned what species they actually are and the difficulty of raising parasitic queens. One of the key things about parasitic queens is that they require a pre-existing colony to survive. I don't have any queenless colonies I want to sacrifice or any at all for that matter! So today I decided to try introducing Lasius neoniger workers to the queens to see if they could adapt. The first worker I put in immediately could tell something was up and was killed within a few minutes. I put a second worker in and it too was killed rather quickly. By this point the queens were pretty panicked but I had one more worker so I put it in too. Like the other workers, it was nervous but when it went to approach queens, they didn't fight and sort of went through a mini trophallaxis. The queens are still pretty nervous but the worker is still alive and not fighting so maybe it worked? Please comment for questions or suggestions as I have no idea what to do next

AqdasHassaan

Re: Lasius Claviger journal

Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:38 pm

wow this is amazing dude. I've always heard that experts usually put their parasitic queens and workers in freezer before mixing them. And I'm surprised that you are keeping both the queens together. Are they not monogynic in nature.?

Batspiderfish

Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:38 pm

One worker is not enough. They need at least 20.

The best technique is to introduce callow workers and brood.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

KingKyle26

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:19 pm

Thanks for the tips! Just an update on that one worker, seems to be doing just fine! Queens have settled down and the worker is just hanging out right with them.

KingKyle26

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:22 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:One worker is not enough. They need at least 20.

The best technique is to introduce callow workers and brood.
And how could I go about obtaining this without disturbing any colonies? Seems like a good idea but I don't want to harm any colonies.

Batspiderfish

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:02 pm

Best to let them go, then. Ideally, you should take brood from a captive-raised colony -- a good goal for next summer, perhaps? Lasius alienus flies in July.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.