JCT Ant videos

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

JohnOther

JCT Ant videos

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:08 am

Repost of some old videos I made.
Going to bundle all my ant videos in one thread from now on.
At the moment I have videos of 3 of my colonies, Messor barbarus, Lasius umbratus & Lasius niger.

First video i ever made about ants, my Messor barbarus. :oops:

On this video i was lucky enough to record the Messor barbarus queen laying an egg! :o

On the following videos we have some digging of my Messor barbarus in their brand new nest!

The next video is made right after i treated my Messor barbarus colony for its parasitic mites. :cry:

One of my better videos of my Messor barbarus

My video of my Lasius umbratus queen killing her host queen! :twisted:

On the following video you can see my ant wall of fame :lol: and a good look on how i view my Messor barbarus colony.

And my last video, my new series starring my Lasius niger

seahehern

Re: JCT Ant videos

Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:29 am

Thats so cool !!! and did u make the out world yourself? #AntLove .

JohnOther

Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:10 am

seahehern wrote:Thats so cool !!! and did u make the out world yourself? #AntLove .
Thanks! What do you mean with made it yourself?

JohnOther

Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:28 am

What do you guys think?
Will these callow workers turn into Lasius umbratus workers, or are they just Lasius niger workers?

AntsMclama

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:35 am

It sounds like you put niger workers/brood in with a L. Umbratus, And if that is the case, you will probably only see niger workers, then you will start seeing the umbratus workers. (the eggs of niger will make niger workers) And i think that you will know from the callow stages as i think they are yellowish from the beginning.

JohnOther

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:09 pm

AntsMclama wrote:It sounds like you put niger workers/brood in with a L. Umbratus, And if that is the case, you will probably only see niger workers, then you will start seeing the umbratus workers. (the eggs of niger will make niger workers) And i think that you will know from the callow stages as i think they are yellowish from the beginning.
This Lasius umbratus queen killed her host colony queen, i have a video from it on my YouTube.
Sadly these workers are still Lasius niger workers, so we will probably see the Lasius umbratus workers next year after hibernation.

JohnOther

Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:59 am

A short video capture of my Camponotus chilensis She lost all her workers and brood.
She doesn't want to eat. :-(
Will she survive?

JohnOther

Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:31 am

Last update from 2016!

The colony is in hibernation at the moment, de temperature dropped to 15 degrees.
True out the winter it will probably drop a bit lower, what is surprising tough is the colony is rather active for this time of the year.

They did grow a lot, despite of the setbacks we had this year.
I guesstimate there numbers to be around 300+ at the moment, of course its hard to count in a sand nest!

Haven't seen any signs of the parasitic mites, can't see them and the ants don't act strange or have more deaths than normal.
So far so good, Of course I am not sure they are gone. And do we even get true the winter?

Below a little video with the last recording before the hibernation, Have fun!

JohnOther

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:16 pm

My Pheidole pallidula these ants are so small, I love them! :lol:
I got them this summer, hope they will grow a lot next year.

JohnOther

Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:28 am

Starting a new journal, about my newest colony!
That is, if they make it true hibernation