Myrmecia - Australian Bull Ant

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

mezzy7

Myrmecia - Australian Bull Ant

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:54 am

Hello, Just want to share some photos of my Myrmecia Ants from capture to present moment. Enjoy

Nuptial Flights, April 16th 2016, they don't mate in the air but congregate in there hundreds upon tall structures. Photo taken at my work on the roof approx 40 meters above the ground. Females mate with several different males in clusters. This happens over a period of about a week.

Watching the magic....

19th July 2016

25th September 2016

Queen is Semi-claustral and feeds on sweet foods.
Larve fed on insects that the Queen caught.
Now just waiting for the pupae to hatch.
Will update with news soon.

Martialis

Re: Myrmecia - Australian Bull Ant

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:00 am

mezzy7 wrote:Hello, Just want to share some photos of my Myrmecia Ants from capture to present moment. Enjoy

Nuptial Flights, April 16th 2016, they don't mate in the air but congregate in there hundreds upon tall structures. Photo taken at my work on the roof approx 40 meters above the ground. Females mate with several different males in clusters. This happens over a period of about a week.

Watching the magic....

19th July 2016

25th September 2016

Queen is Semi-claustral and feeds on sweet foods.
Larve fed on insects that the Queen caught.
Now just waiting for the pupae to hatch.
Will update with news soon.
I'm jealous! These are some of the coolest ants in the world, and they have gamergates! I wish I lived in Australia. :(
Keeper of

Selliing:

JustinCredible

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:04 pm

Oh, too bad im in Tasmania! I would grab the spare queen off you in a heart beat, guess I'll have to wait till next year to find one.

I would be keen to see the nest and outworld set up. Did you use the AntsCanada shop test tubes? I ask because im keen on starting a myrmecia colony when i can.

Keep this updated, keen to see how you go with it.

mezzy7

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:02 am

Hi dude, the test tubes used were ones I bought on eBay a while a go and not from the AntsCanada store. I'm 3/4 through completing my formicarium/outworld and will upload pics in the near future :D

Cheers

LAETAntpants

Sun May 13, 2018 8:36 pm

How did it all go?

I am in WA, we have some awesome Myrmecias over here and I am keen to learn all I can before trying to find my own Queen :D