Batspiderfish's ants

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Batspiderfish's ants

Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:33 pm

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Tetramorium sp. E

Formica rubicunda

Lasius alienus

Formica neogagates

Lasius umbratus

If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

MCWren

Re: Batspiderfish's ants

Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:47 pm

Amazing pictures! I was just reading about your old Lasius umbratus on formiculture yesterday. I see you have new ones. How are they doing?

Batspiderfish

Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:00 pm

MCWren wrote:Amazing pictures! I was just reading about your old Lasius umbratus on formiculture yesterday. I see you have new ones. How are they doing?
She is yet to have her own workers, but I think this queen is doing well. I'm pretty sure the host species is either Lasius flavus or L. nearcticus. I'll be able to tell the workers apart by Lasius umbratus's larger eyes.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Aaron567

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:49 pm

What camera/lens do you use? These photos are awesome!

Batspiderfish

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:04 pm

Aaron567 wrote:What camera/lens do you use? These photos are awesome!
Sony a700 and a Helios 44 coupled over a Minolta "Mini Beercan". Just something I threw together and use all the time.

Also I have a flash bracket with an external flash and diffuser, the most important parts of macro. :ugeek:

nightxwolf88

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:05 am

:shock: Wow seriously great photos I never want to post another of my crappy pics again lol and I thought my Lumia took good photos haha

Batspiderfish

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:46 am

nightxwolf88 wrote::shock: Wow seriously great photos I never want to post another of my crappy pics again lol and I thought my Lumia took good photos haha
Please keep posting as many pictures as you like. :lol:

Thanks, though. It's all improvised equipment.

Batspiderfish

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:26 pm

Tetramorium sp. E

nightxwolf88

Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:14 am

Ah yes there is a good picture of her.

nightxwolf88

Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:15 am

Is that just a little soil in there with them?