Crematogaster journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Aaron567

Re: Crematogaster journal

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:09 pm

There were 10-11 workers recently, but now 3 or 4 of them are dead. When I put in another drop of honey, one of the workers got stuck in it and died. They have been in a tiny test tube that the queen was put in when I caught her, and that test tube ran out of water. But the size and length of the test tube makes it impossible to shine the light on them to get them to move, because the light will also shine into the new test tube. They have been connected to a fresh test tube for a couple weeks and haven't moved, so I decided I would just dump the queen, workers, and brood into the new test tube since I have seen people do that before with no problems. I tried to do this, but Crematogaster sp. are very good at climbing so the queen, one worker, and some brood stayed in the old tube, no matter how hard I was shaking it an tapping it. 2 or 3 of the workers were desperately trying to climb out of the test tubes, so a couple of them escaped and I caught them again. Those 2 continued to climb out, so while I was tapping and shaking the tube, they were squished. I'm pretty frustrated, even though the whole situation is my fault.

Now I have taped the test tubes together again and I hope they move into the new test tube now that I dumped most of the brood in there. Also, one of my Pheidole obscurithorax workers got stuck in the honey and died, so that queen is down to two workers. Everything was going right, with a lot of my queens getting nantics in the past few days, but now I'm just frustrated. I will literally scream if this Crematogaster colony still refuses to move into the new tube, even when it has water and the old one doesn't.

Here are some lovely pictures I took a few days ago, before any of them died. One of the lighter colored workers in the first picture is the one that got stuck in the honey. Rest in peace little babies <3

Aaron567

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:44 pm

Now two more have died. I don't know what to do. All the alive ones have moved back into the old tube and even look like they have abandoned some pupae. I really don't want to harm the queen or any more workers or brood. This is a mess. I might just try to do the light shining method, maybe it will work. If this queen dies I will throw a fit, since I have literally only seen one other Crematogaster queen, which was in early summer. They are not easy to find.

idahoantgirl

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:17 pm

4 or five of my tetramorium workers got stuck in honey, I pulled them out and rinsed them off then blew on them and they came back to life.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Austheboss

Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:10 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:4 or five of my tetramorium workers got stuck in honey, I pulled them out and rinsed them off then blew on them and they came back to life.
How did you do that! They are SOOOO small!!! I wouldn't be able to do that. I would have killed them or drowned them.
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----

idahoantgirl

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:34 pm

Austheboss wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:4 or five of my tetramorium workers got stuck in honey, I pulled them out and rinsed them off then blew on them and they came back to life.
How did you do that! They are SOOOO small!!! I wouldn't be able to do that. I would have killed them or drowned them.
ants basically can't drown. they can live for up to two weeks underwater. I used a tooth pick, and picked up the ant (it was surrounded by honey so the toothpick doesn't puncture through them or anything. Then I ran some warmish water into my hand and swished the ant on the end of the toothpick in the water several times till the honey dissolved and they were just wet. then i blew on them and set them in the outworld. all of them had been stuck for several hours and they are almost all perfectly fine now... one died. but yeah I was pretty surprised when it worked too. they looked completely dead when they were in the honey but they were just unable to move.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Austheboss

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:42 pm

[quote="idahoantgirl"]
ants basically can't drown. they can live for up to two weeks underwater. I used a tooth pick, and picked up the ant (it was surrounded by honey so the toothpick doesn't puncture through them or anything. Then I ran some warmish water into my hand and swished the ant on the end of the toothpick in the water several times till the honey dissolved and they were just wet. then i blew on them and set them in the outworld. all of them had been stuck for several hours and they are almost all perfectly fine now... one died. but yeah I was pretty surprised when it worked too. they looked completely dead when they were in the honey but they were just unable to move.
Wait..... 2 weeks? We can only survive 3 hours under water! huh. Yes, google says some can live for 2 weeks! wow. So if you ever find a drowned ant, don't throw it away I guess. Just take it out of the water or wash it if it was honey.
Also I believe the ant died because honey stuck and possibly dried on its mouth so it couldn't drink (just a theory)

Aaron567

Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:40 pm

The crematogaster worker that was stuck in the honey might not have died now that I know they can survive that long without drowning. Within a couple days they drop of honey with the worker in it was gone, and I just assumed they may have eaten the worker because it was dead. Maybe as the other workers drank the honey, the stuck one might have just been able to crawl out and clean itself... hmm.

Aaron567

Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:47 pm

Here's a small update:

They have all went back into the old tube, but I put a piece of mealworm in the new tube and the workers forage into there and eat the mealworm. The tubes are taped together but to feed them I will have to take off several layers of tape.. I guess I'll just have to deal with it and be patient and let their old tube completely dry out. Then they'll move for sure.

Austheboss

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:38 pm

Aaron567 wrote:Here's a small update:

They have all went back into the old tube, but I put a piece of mealworm in the new tube and the workers forage into there and eat the mealworm. The tubes are taped together but to feed them I will have to take off several layers of tape.. I guess I'll just have to deal with it and be patient and let their old tube completely dry out. Then they'll move for sure.
Yah, just be patient for the brood to hatch and get you back on the road, so that more ants will have the idea to move. I'm sure even though the things they have gone through that they will survive. Good luck!

Aaron567

Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:20 pm

I found a better and easier way to house this colony. I found a small plastic critter keeper so I put in rocks as the substrate and I set the test tubes (The old one and the new one) inside. I put a piece of grape in there and a few of them sat on top of it and drank the juice. I spread Vaseline around the sides of the container, put a piece of cling wrap over it, and put the plastic critter keeper lid over that. These ants are great climbers and also pretty small so I just want to make sure they can't escape. I think they are back at about 6-8 workers, but one of them just eclosed:D

So now I can just set their food inside the container next to their test tube and they can also move into the clean test tube whenever they want!