First polygynous colony

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

nightxwolf88

Re: First polygynous colony

Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Ok well after these guys not moving into the new nest I opened the old one up and dumped the colony into the outworld. Almost immediately the workers began carrying the brood to the new nest. Now they are happily in a mold free nest. One queen died but apparently there was 11 so 10 queens still doing well.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:32 pm

Yeah that way works too -- the dump method ;)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

nightxwolf88

Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:09 pm

ooper01 wrote:Yeah that way works too -- the dump method ;)
Ya I just saw your post on my help tread thank you. I was just afraid of the mold killing my colony as it kept spreading. I hope dumping them didn't stress the too much although I did dig them up so that was prolly a big stress and they settled in just fine.

nightxwolf88

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:19 am

So here are some update pics. They settled into the new nest very nicely and keep churning up brood. Small groups are starting to hang out in other chambers now too.ImageImageImageImageImage

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:34 pm

It looks like you are going to have a mammoth colony in short order! Are you prepared for that!! ? ;)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

nightxwolf88

Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:32 am

I sure hope I am :lol: It is a good thing they do not occupy a lot of space. I do have a couple spare small nest for these guys to expand to if need be. They might be tiny but I love watching this colony grow. Im seeing more foragers in the outworld now too and instead of just eating the insides of the crickets they are starting to just devour the whole insect :)

MichiganAnts

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:44 pm

keep updating this!

nightxwolf88

Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:14 pm

xW1Z25x wrote:keep updating this!
Boy it has been awhile since an update. I'll update after work today for sure :D

nightxwolf88

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:13 pm

So I tried to get the colony to move into a new formicarium with smaller chambers. I tried to leave the bottom unsealed as to use for hydration and to be able to rehydrate and replace if need be. I poked some holes in the floor and rookie mistake, forgot the workers are tiny and they happen to fit thru a couple of the holes so I had some escape out the unsealed seam. I have stuffed the seam with Vaseline for now and the workers now seem to gather and drink down there rather than the tube I provide in the outworld haha. Image the queens and brood still reside in the original formicarium even being uncovered for a month trying to make them move. ImageImageImageImageImage

nightxwolf88

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:15 pm

Just realized how much the brood pile has grown since the last post :shock: