tetramorium journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

SpeciesK

Re: tetramorium journal

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:55 am

When the ants are born, are they dark, or are they light color and then darken later? I have watched videos of other ants that are born white or yellowish and then turn brown or black or whatever. It didn't occur to me before that ants would be born any color but what you see them as walking around.

idahoantgirl

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:29 pm

SpeciesK wrote:
When the ants are born, are they dark, or are they light color and then darken later? I have watched videos of other ants that are born white or yellowish and then turn brown or black or whatever. It didn't occur to me before that ants would be born any color but what you see them as walking around.
Ants first emerge a very light tan color. Over the first several days they will darken to their final shade.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Nathant

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:44 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:29 pm
SpeciesK wrote:
Ants first emerge a very light tan color. Over the first several days they will darken to their final shade.
Correct. These young workers are called "callows".

idahoantgirl

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Wow! My ants have sure grown in appetite! They now desire Two crickets a day.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

idahoantgirl

Mon May 01, 2017 9:22 am

I finally decorated my ants outworld! I am really happy with how it turned out. It's been like a year since I've had this colony and I just now decorated. I was afraid to before because of cleanup, ect. I would post pics but I don't have photo bucket so I cant. :( I also recently bought some fruit flies and live mealworms. I'm hoping they like the mealworms. they have been raised on crickets. I let them have at two fruit flies. It was their first live catch. The fruit flies seemed a bit speedy for my ants though so I slightly crushed them so it would be easier. I also decided to get mealworms and fruit flies because I recently hatched baby praying mantises! AWWWW YEAH!! lol it sounds like I'm more excited about the praying mantises then my ants, but the thing is that the babies are this big! (____)

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

JackPayne

Mon May 01, 2017 3:52 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 9:22 am
I finally decorated my ants outworld! I am really happy with how it turned out. It's been like a year since I've had this colony and I just now decorated. I was afraid to before because of cleanup, ect. I would post pics but I don't have photo bucket so I cant. :( I also recently bought some fruit flies and live mealworms. I'm hoping they like the mealworms. they have been raised on crickets. I let them have at two fruit flies. It was their first live catch. The fruit flies seemed a bit speedy for my ants though so I slightly crushed them so it would be easier. I also decided to get mealworms and fruit flies because I recently hatched baby praying mantises! AWWWW YEAH!! lol it sounds like I'm more excited about the praying mantises then my ants, but the thing is that the babies are this big! (____)
You can use imgur,
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?

xTNxANTMANx

Wed May 03, 2017 4:56 pm

I have raised praying mantids many many times over the years. They are absolutely fascinating insects. Newly hatched, small termites work well as well as...small ants...like Tapinoma (sry guys but true :) I'm fed not dissing our ant love by no means lol). They will go/molt rather quickly at first. I love mantids!
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

idahoantgirl

Wed May 03, 2017 6:31 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
I have raised praying mantids many many times over the years. They are absolutely fascinating insects. Newly hatched, small termites work well as well as...small ants...like Tapinoma (sry guys but true :) I'm fed not dissing our ant love by no means lol). They will go/molt rather quickly at first. I love mantids!
so you can feed them ants? I thought that the ants would attack the baby mantids?

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

Martialis

Wed May 03, 2017 7:04 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
xTNxANTMANx wrote:
so you can feed them ants? I thought that the ants would attack the baby mantids?
Not Tapinoma or other incredibly small ones.
Keeper of

Selliing:

idahoantgirl

Wed May 03, 2017 10:48 pm

Martialis wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 7:04 pm
idahoantgirl wrote:
xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Not Tapinoma or other incredibly small ones.
tetramorium?

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,