Camponotus chromaiodes

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Acorns

Camponotus chromaiodes

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:04 pm

So I captured my first queen this year and it was Camponotus chromaiodes. I was out back when I saw something land on one of my Bonsai and to my surprise it was a queen and .As I was freaking out trying to think of what to put her in as I had no test tubes I went to grab her and she flew away. I was bummed but quickly found a un used 2 oz plastic deli sauce cup with lid and went walking the neighborhood. I spent the next 2 hours searching to no avail and it was getting to be dusk. So I went back to my benches and started to water my trees when out of the corner of my eye there was another one!! I acted fast as this one had already shed her wings and scooped her in to the cup and quickly put the lid on. Was finishing watering and low and behold I found a second queen. I luckily had another cup with lid and quickly negotiated her in with protest on her part and now have 2.I was excited . I have a local guy that has been experimenting on alternatives to test tube setups (They are quite pricey in caparison but closer to a natural claustral chamber) so I ordered what is called the mini hearth put my queens in them and here she is .Image

Scorylo

Re: Camponotus chromaiodes

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:16 am

Sounds cool, would like to see them, but your image did not upload... :(

Ants4fun

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:02 pm

Lol are you talking to Tarheelants? They sell it on their website for $40. Not experimental. It's been on the site for a while.

Acorns

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:25 pm

Scorylo wrote:Sounds cool, would like to see them, but your image did not upload... :(
I will try it again it worked last night I tried to upload through the system but it says my file size on my images is too large so I linked through photobucket>

Acorns

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Ants4fun wrote:Lol are you talking to Tarheelants? They sell it on their website for $40. Not experimental. It's been on the site for a while.
Yes I purchased the mini hearths a year ago and I am experimenting with them not that they are any kind of prototype or experimental formicarium.

Acorns

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:04 pm

Ok hopefully this pic stays this time. So to continue on both colony's ended up having 5-7 workers in the first brood. Notice the translucent worker in the foreground still hardening off
I gave them some honey they filled there little gagsters and did something weird after they had there fill they buried the remainder in the sand substrate in the out world? so this went on for a month or so I left a small feeder of hummingbird nectar in there and every week I would put in a piece of silk worm. All was well until last Friday I had my first fatality. Notice the worker on the right drinking her fill from the feeder.
Today I was out doing my spot cleaning and maintenance when my daughter knocked a potted plant of mint over and said hey daddy come look at these white ants. My ears perked up and low and behold they were small termites. Well I picked 2 of them up dropped one each in the formicariums and we watched intently .At first the scavengers did not smell or see them then all of a sudden they grabbed on and sprayed the termite drug it down the hole and immediately 3 more come boiling out of the hole in search of more.

By the way NO ONE in my neighbor hood sprays pesticides for anything and My back yard is 1/4 acre and these are back by my trees or I would have never done this I do not want to risk my colony's. Each colony ended up with 4 termites each and now everyone is fat and happy.

Acorns

Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:47 pm

Captured in mid march this year 2nd set of workers eclosing and emerging now.

Acorns

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:35 am

Well not too much to report other than it is beginning to cool down here and both colonies have started the burmation process. No longer actively seeking and foraging for food, and they are all huddled in the corner of the formicarium. I have known of others that put there colonies in the fridge for the winter months.